Friday, May 16, 2014

So I've had a change of heart

As you know, I have gestational diabetes. And while it was unfortunately not quite controllable through diet and exercise, I've been taking an oral pill for it for a couple of weeks. For some reason, I had such a stigma in my head about taking insulin, all based on unfounded fears. So lately I've been doing some research, and I've had a change of heart. I actually asked to switch to insulin!

I've been reading some conflicting information about the oral pills I was on. It seems that insulin is proven safe since it's been around longer and does not cross the placenta whereas the pill most definitely does. The jury is still out for the oral pills proven safety overall. I am obviously not afraid of needles which is one big downside to insulin for most patients who have never given themselves shots.

So yesterday, I had my 28 week checkup with my OB and then had a follow up in the afternoon with my MFM. I asked for insulin and he prescribed me Levemir which will be a low 1-time-a-day dose that will last 24 hours taken right before bedtime. Yeah, sign me up! If I happen to get spikes at meals, we can add a second short acting shot in there which won't bother me either.

I had planned to start taking the insulin last night, but I ended up throwing up all my dinner and was nervous what that might mean overnight for taking insulin. So I opted to skip it, even though I think my MFM will tell me today it would have been fine. It sounds like I will start tonight. And still, all in all, my blood sugars still aren't that bad.

As far as the visit with the OB goes, he thinks everything still looks perfect with Sammy and is always so reassuring when I see him. Visits are full of hugs, happiness, and positivity. I've had a nagging fear crop up in my head lately about a cord accident happening this far into pregnancy. He made me feel a lot better about that, and told me to get my nursery ready. I told him it has been done for a while and his response was "Good, because you're going to be laying this baby down in it very soon." I just love him! I have been so lucky to have incredible doctors throughout both our infertility and pregnancy journey who not only treat my body with care and kindness, but treat my emotions in he same way too. :)

And last little update, Kevin and I have an elective ultrasound at one of those boutique 4d/3d ultrasound places tomorrow at noon. We're so excited to see Sammy in all of her chubby-cheeks-and-legs-crossed glory I could scream. You can be sure I'll be posting pictures and video, so stay tuned for tomorrow's post. I hope she cooperates!

Happy Friday, everyone! So glad this week is winding to an end!

Only 73 days, 23 hours, 13 minutes, and 18 seconds until Sammy is scheduled to arrive!

28 week bump:


13 comments:

  1. You look so good! I love your necklace! Hi Sammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I got this necklace at Charming Charlies. Not sure if you have one near you, but I love it! It's like a candy store for women. I swear. :)

      Delete
  2. I was on Levemir! It couldnt get my fasting under control which was the only number that was out of wack. Then I had to be switched to NPH. The NPH got my fastings under control. I hope the Levemir works perfectly for you! My GD baby was born on 4/28 and I was on insulin since week 25. He had low blood sugar when he was born but otherwise there have been no complications!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I'm so glad it worked for you, and that otherwise you had an uneventful pregnancy and birth. Hope you two are doing well now. :)

      Delete
  3. So exciting! Oh I hope she participates well for your sono .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She sort of did. Not at first, but nothing a little dance music can't fix. ;-) Just posted about it today.

      Delete
  4. You look gorgeous - pregnancy suits you :-) Great job being an advocate for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet! Thank you! I really do love being pregnant! :)

      Delete
  5. you look gorgeous! You glow in every picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet! I'm definitely over the moon happy! :-D Glad that it shows!

      Delete
  6. You are simply glowing! I love seeing how happy you are!

    ReplyDelete