Friday, July 12, 2013

Hamburgers

I've calmed down since last night.

Thank god. I was a walking ball of fire, seriously.

After my call to the insurance company, I frantically emailed and instant messaged the HR benefits rep at my company and she actually *seemed* (although I don't trust it) concerned about the denial and said she would get on it right away. In fact, she even told me I'd get some kind of a response from her this morning. I'll believe it when I see it.

After that, I left work and on my way home Libby texted me to tell me that even though she was required to fill out her consent-to-ship form again, her clinic was waiving their usual requirement of it being notarized. Good news! She also asked me how things were going on my side with the insurance. Unfortunately, things weren't going very well yesterday. I told her about the denial, and since I was driving, I was dictating my texts to her with the voice recognition feature on my phone. My text ended up something like this:

"I am so glad they are letting you waive the notary for the new form. I can't wait to get these precious hamburgers here!"

Hamburgers! LOL My phone thought I said hamburgers.

I am a few hamburgers short of a happy meal, that's for sure. I got a laugh out of it and it lifted the feeling of frustration for a bit. Moments after that, I saw my phone was downloading a photo from Libby. As it appeared on my screen, I realized it was a picture of her four beautiful children laying on a blanket on the grass. Underneath the photo she said "Believe in miracles, Liz. These are mine."

Tears. This changed my perspective completely. She brought all of this fighting full circle. It's so easy to get caught up in the frustrating details and lose focus. She fought for each one of her babies, and now I'm fighting for mine. This was such a moment of encouragement for me.

One day I will have my miracles too.

I've always known that embryo adoption was special, but at that moment I was reminded again as to how special it really is. Both of my donors are amazing women and I can't imagine going through something like this without them.

When I got home, I completely lost my marbles and ranted and raved about the insurance problems to Kevin. I told him about my proposal to move forward out of pocket and try to recoup costs later.

He agreed. Easily, might I add.

That's it. EFF insurance. For now, at least. This is something that is clearly outlined in my summary plan description as a covered benefit. My HR department agrees. There is not one good reason why it is being denied, and I feel confident we will be able to recover most, if not all of it. We can involve an attorney, if needed. But I'm not letting this ruin my life any longer. It's time to move forward.

See you later, $4050. I hope I see some of you again very soon. I'm going to need you for nursery furniture, I hope.

Last stop, getting these hamburgers....I mean embryos shipped and we are ready to rock and roll.

11 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you and I was crossing my fingers this was the decision you'd come to. I'm confidant, as well that you'll be able to recuperate much, if not all, of the costs! I'm just get so excited for you and Kevin. Hope things starting looking up and up and up from now on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear you are moving forward. I am sure the insurance will get worked out eventually. Like you said, there is no reason it was denied.

    I am so excited to read how the rest of this goes for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Can't wait to get this show finally on the road. :)

      Delete
  3. AW! I totally teared up reading about the picture. That was the perfect thing for her to do. Love that Libby! :) And I'm so happy you aren't going to let anything stop you. You keep fighting that insurance, but don't let them dictate the timing of your life events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! She's amazing. I hope the insurance gets sorted out quickly!

      Delete
  4. Libby sounds like an amazing woman and while I am sorry that this is the fight you have to fight, I am glad that you found someone like her along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hoping you get your little "hamburgers" shipped to you quickly and that you can proceed.I laughed when I read this about how your phone interpreted your words. Quite an encouraging message from Libby. Makes you want to go on and have hope and continue on this journey. Think of this daily as you encounter some hurdles and let it lift your spirits and provide encouragement along the way.Keeping you in my prayers daily.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah it really helped break up the frustration to have my phone think I said hamburgers. And Libby helped so much more than that! Thanks for the prayers.

      Delete
  6. So glad to read you are feeling better about everything. I can't imagine the insurance thing not getting worked out. That Libby sounds like a gem!

    ReplyDelete