Thursday, June 13, 2013

My SIS

It may be confusing, but I should clarify something. I am actually in the care of two REs at my current clinic. My main RE, Dr B, coordinates all of my care remotely. She is in charge of third party reproduction at my clinic. I adore her more than any other doctor I've had in my life. She works excluseively at the San Antonio location which is 1.5 hours away so we correspond over the phone and email. But for in-person visits, I see Dr A. He is wonderful, full of personality, and has awesome bedside manner! So if you have ever seen me refer to my RE as a "he" yet other times a "she" that's why! I have two. I wanted to clear that one up.

I saw Dr A today for my saline ultrasound (SIS) and mock transfer since he comes to the Austin location every Thursday to see patients. Other days of the week it is two part time nurses at this satellite office.

First, the ultrasound.

While I was waiting for Dr A to come into the exam room, I glanced at the ultrasound machine and noticed this button. A snowflake! I took that as a good omen.



And I have great news! He says everything looks perfect in my uterus! No abnormalities. This is just the news I wanted to hear today!

If you recall, I had a serious issue when I was told with my March pregnancy that it was ectopic and there was no hope. Kevin and I lost our minds. I have never been in such a dark place. Well, turns out they were wrong. It wasn't an ectopic pregnancy. Obviously the story still ended in tragedy a month later, but it doesn't change the fact that she was dead wrong that day. It royally sucked.

Because of that traumatizing experience AND the fact I have to drive 1.5 hours round trip for monitoring at this satellite location, I had hoped to have my monitoring done at my previous clinic this time around. It's literally on my way to work and incredibly convenient. But unfortunately, my clinic won't let me do that. Oh well, I have to suck it up and do what I have to do. I'm trying to look on the bright side because everything we did last cycle did work to get me pregnant. So here we are.

Seeing everyone again did feel a little awkward because of what had happened. And of course it becomes even more awkward because I'm forced to be in such a vulnerable physical position. You never want to piss off the lady with the vaginal ultrasound wand, right?

Well the good news is that both of the nurses said they were sorry for what had happened to my pregnancy in general. And they seemed caring and empathetic. However, unlike my last cycle, there wasn't much small talk. No one brought up that crazy ultrasound day, but all of this was for the best. I just want to move forward. Forgive and forget.

And one last little update.

I heard back from Dr B over email yesterday and she said the lab was already busy at work trying to get the embryos shipped, although she didn't have details beyond that. This was great to hear because I emailed the embryologist last week, yet I hadn't heard back. I was starting to get a little worried, but I'm happy Dr B reassured me. I suppose I'll try to be patient. That really is not a virtue of mine.

This is the last step we are all waiting for prior to receiving my calendar! Hopefully my next post will be to declare they have been shipped. That is a day I'm so incredibly excited for!

15 comments:

  1. It sounds like everything is falling into place for you. I am sure that the same u/s mistake will never be made again after the last time.
    Hope you get your calendar soon and get the show on the road :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I hope I get a call asap letting me know these snowflakes are en route. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for your babies being shipped :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to hear that everything is on the right track. And how cool that the U/S had a snowflake button!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't it?! I assumed it was for "freeze" frame or something? No idea but I took it as a good omen. :)

      Delete
  4. Glad things looked good for the SIS, and that everything seems to be moving along! I hope you get your snowflakes soon!! Best of luck!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good omen for sure!!! And I'm glad to hear the SIS showed everything looks good! Ready for the snowflakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too! I can't wait to meet these little ones!! thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad things are on the move and hope you hear from the lab soon! -DoubleP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where are you located? I'm in Waco driving to Texas Fertility Center in Austin for my appts. We are also doing a donated embryo cycle right now. 😊 Wishing you lots of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in Austin! We're neighbors. Funny enough, we did our fresh IVF cycle at TFC. I adored Dr B over there. She was amazing. We would have done our donor embryo cycle there, but our first batch of embryos didn't meet ASRM guidelines so they wouldn't do it and we had to go to another clinic.

      Are you using TFCs program or did you get your embies somewhere else? Which Dr are you seeing there? You should email me! I'd love to chat more about it! Good luck!!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad the sis went well and you are good to go, just waiting on those embabies! I'm still frustrated for you over those nurses. At least their bedside manner was appropriate this time. I'm just sorry you still have to see them!

    ReplyDelete