Friday, June 13, 2014

I'm not a fan of tornadoes

Yesterday I made it to 32 weeks. 32 weeks started out with us at the MFM getting our weekly biophysical profile. Sammy looked great and passed all of the tests at 100%. My favorite part of the scan was noticing her chunky thighs. She is gaining some fat on them and they are just so cute! I wish I had a picture of them to share, but unfortunately we didn't get one.

I headed into work like usual and later in the afternoon we started getting tornado watches issued in the Austin area. Tornado watches don't scare me all that much because it just means conditions are favorable for one to appear. And we get watches often this time of year. I absolutely love Austin, but one of the three things I do NOT like about Austin is the threat of the occasional tornado. The other two: nasty summer heat and icky bugs, in case you're wondering. Otherwise this place is perfect!

Shortly after getting home from work and eating dinner, the tornado watch then turned into a tornado warning for the counties next to us. This meant a tornado had actually been spotted. A tornado warning isn't nearly as common and I began to worry.

Then all of the sudden, our home alarm system started going off. It was because a tornado warning had just been issued directly in our county and our alarm system notifies us so we can take shelter.

Between the loud sound of the home alarm and the bangin of the thunder, holy crap. Cue total freak out.

The storm was incredibly electrical and came with some torrential rains. I was so on edge that even every noise I heard coming from the dishwasher I'd swear was a looming tornado outside of our door! Hey, I grew up in Utah and lived in California for 10 years. This is all very new to me!

We had the news on non-stop and my anxiety continued. We got the cats together with the dog, put our shoes on JUST in case, and got ready to take cover in the bathroom as we stayed glued to the TV. The power went out for a brief moment and I think I just about lost my ever-loving mind. We could hear the crazy storm outside of our home with loud thunder crashes.

My reaction was really over the top, I get that. For those of you who are used to tornado warnings, feel free to make fun of me. But I couldn't help it. I was really, really scared!

Finally at around 11pm, things died down enough that I breathed a sigh of relief and finally relaxed a little bit.

One large tornado did take a home entirely off of it's foundation in a county near ours and damaged other homes as well. No injuries were reported, thank goodness.

I think I need to find tornado anxiety treatment classes to cope better because all joking aside, it made my blood pressure and blood glucose go way up. And I think having my body in that level of anxiety really did a number on my already fairly screwed up back. It hurts really bad today. So in reality, my anxiety itself turned out to be the most dangerous part.

And needless to say, I didn't sleep too well last night. I had dreams about tornadoes. :)

The tornado that damaged homes in the county near ours. Beautiful, yet scary!





16 comments:

  1. Tornadoes are scary! I'm originally from Missouri where we get tornadoes all the time and the thing to do is sit on your porch with a beer and watch them. Moving down to Mississippi has kind of reawaken my nervousness around tornadoes; people down here aren't used to them and they freak out which makes me freak out! Our city (and surrounding area) got hit by like 3 tornadoes in one day back in April which was a little too close for comfort for me. I'm glad you're all ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so scary!!! Thanks for making me not feel crazy about being scared. I hope you guys stay safe out there!

      Delete
  2. Ha Aislinn, I was just getting ready to say, here where I live (MO) we just go outside and watch them until they get too close :)

    I am lucky, I have a basement with a fully enclosed safe place to go in case of a tornado. If I didn't, I would freak out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be Terrifying! I would definitely have freaked out. We have only had one tornado here and it was a complete fluke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was a fluke! Yeah, to say I freaked out was an understatement. I can laugh about it now, but that night....well not so much. LOL

      Delete
  4. I live in an area where tornadoes have done some terrible, terrible damage - taking out whole cities and killing hundreds. We recently had a storm system that went though creating MULTIPLE tornadoes as it came through, and thank God every single one of them went just above us and passed us by. It was a miracle! I'm so thankful you are okay and no...I don't blame you one bit for being scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's absolutely terrifying! I'm so glad they missed you and you are safe. And thanks for making me not feel so crazy for being scared!

      Delete
  5. OMG! I would have been right there with you freaking out too! I swear my heart rate jumped just reading this. I'm glad you're okay but wow - did I mention how nice Nova Scotia is? We don't have any here. Maybe you should try living here instead? Jeesh that would terrify me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah no kidding, right? I love it here in Austin but once and a while when this kind of thing happens, I wish I at least had a basement!

      Delete
  6. Yikes, that is scary! I live in West Michigan (lower peninsula) in a little city right on Lake Michigan and it is very infrequent that we even have tornado watches! If there are any actual tornadoes, which is rare, they are further inland (Michigan) or south... so I feel very fortunate! I have seen a handful of waterspouts out on the lake, but they don't affect us on land. I think I would majorly have a panic attack if I was in a situation just like you were! I'm so glad you guys are alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, waterspouts? That's insane! Yeah I have a low tolerance for natural disaster scares. The build up on the news for this tornado didn't help me much either. Ugh, I still shudder thinking about that night! Glad you guys don't really have to deal with them!

      Delete
  7. Eek, I can't blame you at all for being scared! Although I'm glad that nothing came near your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks for making me not feel so nuts! :)

      Delete
  8. Liz I would have totally been freaking out with you!!! It is those Mommy instincts kicking in :-) Good luck and we will pray for no more tornados!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys had a tornado in your area a few months ago too, didn't you? It's crazy how much I freaked out this time. You're right - probably mommy instincts. I kept thinking about the house imploding on me and just protecting my belly and all my loves (husband, cats and dog.) Tornado - take the house - leave us alone!!!!

      Delete