Monday, July 14, 2014

Yup, I'm benched. But it's okay.

As mentioned in my previous post, my SI joint dysfunction pain has increased so much that I can't walk even from the parking lot at work to my desk. BUT the good news is that although I was skeptical that I'd be able to work out a telecommuting arrangement with my work, on Friday, I did! YAY! I'm officially telecommuting from here on out instead of going on early disability. This means I will likely work until Sammy arrives and will get to spend more time with her on the tail end!

Also on Friday, I mentioned my blood pressure readings to my OB nurse because my BP had passed the threshold I was given (above 140.) She put me on bed rest over the weekend, which I did. And luckily, my BP stayed nice and low while I was laying around. I'm also not spilling any protein which is another sign of pre-e. I just might avoid it after all, we shall see. Over the weekend, Kevin and I watched movies and lots of TV and laying around significantly helped my SI pain as well. I think even minimal walking is what has been exacerbating it. It's much more bearable at home after long stretches on the couch. 

Laying around has me daydreaming a lot about the moment I will finally meet this beloved baby girl. I picture the room we will be in, the doctor and what he will say, the sounds, and the moment I finally get to lay my eyes on our Samantha for the very first time. I imagine her hair, her eyes, and her lips. I picture seeing Kevin hold her for the first time. I imagine her first cries. I've done all of this kind of day dreaming before but it's become so much more real and I can't describe the overwhelming feeling I feel when I think of it now. I wonder if because of infertility and loss, there was still a part of me that wondered if this was all just a dream and was afraid to really let myself believe this little girl's arrival was going to become a reality. And I think finally now it's starting to hit me that it is. This really IS happening. I'm sure the feeling I imagine about her grand entrance is going to be pale in comparison to the real thing. I can't wait.

So that's my happy update for today. I get to telecommute and work until delivery AND my BP and SI pain seems to improve as long as I'm not moving around. I'm seriously on the home stretch and will be considered full term on Thursday. Three short days!

14 days, 22 hours, 52 min, and 20 seconds until our little snowflake arrives.
Or less.... ;-)


19 comments:

  1. Yay! That's great news! It's amazing that you'll be able to work from home so you'll have more time with Miss Sammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post :) glad to hear you're feeling better and that you're taking it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are benched. But so happy you can work from home until delivery day. How much time do you plan on taking after baby is born? I was so lucky to get about 9 months off with my first. It was a complete fluke, but it was nice. Only four months with my second and it really was not enough time. I love my career, but I really wish the US would get on the ball with maternity leave. I think 6 months with some compensation should be the norm.
    kd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too! I'm planning to take the full amount allowable under FMLA which is 12weeks. If I were to go on disability early, I'd have to return early because it's only those 12 weeks I get. Not all will be paid, and we will make it work, but I know that after all this time trying to have this little girl, I don't want to miss a moment of those 12 weeks I don't have to. I'm glad you got to take so much time with yours! I wish I could do longer as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Sorry you're out from work but glad you have options to still make money and not use up all your time before she gets here. Eeek it will be soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful for this option! I know, I can't believe it's just around the corner! :)

      Delete
  5. that's fantastic that you can work from home and avoid moving around. Self-care is good and so exciting that Samantha will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I know! I can't believe it! Seems surreal!

      Delete
  7. Liz, this post made me tear up! I remember ever single second of Luke's birth, and it STILL feels surreal sometimes!! I'm so incredibly happy for you and Kevin!!!
    Take these next two weeks, and soak up every single second of you and Kevin time!! I'm thinking and praying for all 3 of you in the days and weeks ahead!! Such and exciting time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I know you totally get this! And the crazy thing is that I might meet Sammy in the exact same room you met Luke! I'm just counting town the days! :)

      Delete
  8. This is wonderful news, Liz. Congrats, my friend. You are indeed almost there. So glad you get to work from home until Sammy comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm relieved too. :) I appreciate your support more than you'll ever know!

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness.. Even though I know it is soon, it just seems so much sooner when you write it in the blog. She is going to be here before you know it. I am so happy you are still working and get to spend as much time with Samantha as you can before you have to go back to work. I hope you are feeing better and the rest is improving the pain you've been having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to just say how soon it will be. I am in total disbelief, I think! Thank you for all of your support and I have everything crossed for you. :) I am feeling better with all of the rest!

      Delete
  10. Liz, I am catching up on your blog, but I have to stop and comment on this, saying this brought tears to my eyes. I can't wait for you to meet your little girl either. :)

    ReplyDelete