Thursday, January 2, 2014

I actually asked for more injections!

I'm finally at the 9w mark. Well, 9w1d, but who's counting? ;-) I'm supposed to finally start weaning off of my meds! My RE's normal protocol is start weaning meds at 9w to every other day and then at 10w stop altogether. Leading up to this week, I was elated to kick these injections to the curb. But the more I got to reading and thinking about it, it seemed a little early since many REs choose to stop meds more like 11w or 12w. It didn't quite sit well seeing how much is at stake.

Kevin and I talked about it and we thought we should email the RE for blood work for peace of mind, or at least allow me to extend my meds, or even do Crinone instead for a week or two. We'd be devastated if progesterone deficiency caused us to lose this little one. So I must be crazy for wanting to do more shots, but for the sake of my sanity, I had to at least ask!

Well, today my nurse called and explained that staying on the meds too long can mess with baby's sex organs. That I didn't know! We definitely don't want to do anything to jeopardize baby's health. But the doctor did suggest an extension of the weaning by one extra week. I am going to continue injections every day this week only I'll drop down to half the dose each time. And then starting next week, I'll go to every other day until I stop completely at 11w. I feel a lot better about this plan. She said blood work isn't helpful because once the placenta takes over, it can sustain baby on lower levels than what was needed in the beginning of the pregnancy. And generally speaking, seeing those lower progesterone level results from the lab causes patients unnecessary stress. I was sold on this plan, and am happy with the extra week of weaning.

One week left until my first OB appointment! Yay!

14 comments:

  1. I stopped taking my Crinone at 10 weeks (Sunday) and I felt the exact same way! I had heard of other people taking it for 12 weeks as well. My husband kept telling me that he is the doctor and probably knows so I trusted what he said and trusted in God. I have been off for 4 days and have been doing great. I got to see the babies today and I am on cloud nine! Congratulations on your little miracle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on graduating from the meds! But yes, it's so scary. I'm glad to hear things are going well and you got to see your beautiful babies! :)

      Delete
  2. sounds like a good plan. I was super nervous about stopping the meds myself. My doctor said I could continue till 14 weeks, which I did. It probably did not help as all, but it gave me more peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling it's pretty normal to be nervous. I'm glad that it sounds like most of our doctors understand this fear and play ball with us a bit to ease our minds a bit!

      Delete
  3. Also there is a newer practice of doing progesterone injections during pregnancy (16 weeks on) to prevent preterm labor, so dont worry too much about negative side effects of the progesterone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's good to know!! I think quitting at 11w will be just right for us. I feel good about it. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad they have such a good plan of action for you and your sweet snowflake. Yay for being nine weeks already! Time is just flying by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't believe it! I think it's a plan I feel good about too. :)

      Delete
  5. Like other commenters, I was terrified of stopping the progesterone. And this is my second EA baby. Your plan sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely sounds like I'm not alone in the fear! Good luck with your pregnancy!

      Delete
  6. Congrats Liz on 9 weeks! How have you been feeling? Happy 2014 and all the excitement it is bringing you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been feeling pregnant! and it's great!! :) Thanks and I wish you a happy new year as well!

      Delete
  7. Yes....progesterone use has been linked to a rare issue in boys called hypospadius (sp?) where the urethra opening in the penis is not in the tip but off to the side. We had to weigh these options too....but we decided that hypospadius was fixbale but losing the pregnancy was not an option for us...so we did our full PIO up until the 12 week mark for both babies....all was fine (we had one boy and one girl). I do think your plan sounds good as most research shows the placenta taking over almost all hormone production by week 10. Going into week 11 on a reduced dosage would make me feel much better too. 10 weeks was just way too early for me to even consider stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never even heard of it messing with he sex organs at all! That's actually a little scary. I was on PIO until the end of week 12 (plus a few days because I was scared to make the change!). I'm glad things are going so well for you and you had a good plan in place.

    ReplyDelete