Sunday, January 5, 2014

Not if......when.

I've been living my life as much like a normal pregnant woman as much as I possibly can. I've been eating foods I can stomach, which generally are bizarre. And I'm avoiding prior favorites like shrimp and crab like the plague. I constantly tell Kevin that "we" love him (me and baby!) We daydream of our nursery, talk about labor and delivery, and are thinking of our future with baby in it. My pants have been getting tighter lately so I decided to treat myself with some new clothes. I got three pairs of maternity jeans yesterday at Target! Oh maternity pants: Where in the world have you been all my life? So comfortable!

Feeling so normal has created a tiny voice nagging me in the back of my mind that says, "Why are you acting like this baby is actually going to be born? You're just jinxing yourself." But I've been able to smash that voice away pretty easily whenever I think of baby's amazing heartbeat. Logically, I know anything could happen. But I'm relishing in this blissful hope and optimism that this baby will be the one we finally take home this summer. I'm surprised at how well the optimism has been going! It's the answer to my prayers because I thought every waking moment would be wrought with fear and anxiety. I am eternally grateful it's not like that.

I still worry though. For example, 90% of the time when I have occasional cramps, I smile as I imagine baby growing and stretching in there. In fact, he/she is now the size of a green olive! But the other 10% of the time when I feel cramps, that nagging voice tells me I'm starting to miscarry again. It's crazy, but I suppose it's inevitable considering my previous losses.

Many of my symptoms disappeared around the 9w mark. That did kind of freak me out a little. But they appear to be back now in slightly different forms. Instead of achy/heavy breasts, now I'll feel electrical shocks shooting through them! I understand that symptoms start to let up around the 9w mark anyway. Totally normal. And probably a good thing I am feeling relief. I still wake up to middle of the night with nausea and I smile.

I hope I can continue this optimism as my pregnancy progresses because I know myself and this "me" is very unlike the "me" I've known for years. I never thought this "me" was even possible.

I'm finding myself telling myself over and over that it's not going to be if I meet this baby and hold him/her in my arms, but instead I'm operating under the pretense that it will be when.

15 comments:

  1. When indeed. That is beautiful. So glad that you have been able to suppress some of those pessimistic thoughts that our community so often experiences. You so deserve a happy and positive pregnancy! I've learned that it is good to be cautious, but even better to be hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I agree, it is so much better to be hopeful. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm in the same boat as you- I worry all the time that something is going to go wrong... and why they make us infertiles wait 4 weeks between appointments is crazy!! I want to hear my baby every single day!!!

    And I really didn't have a ton of symptoms to begin with, but what I did have started to go away in the last couple of weeks. I really don't want to wear a bra to bed, but that's when they end up hurting the most!!

    Hoping for all good news for you the rest of the pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Four weeks is wayyyyy to long! :) It's totally normal for them to come and go. In fact, my symptoms are back. So much for them being gone altogether! It's okay though, it's good reassurance! :) I hope you have only good news too!

      Delete
  3. So glad that you are operating from a place of optimism most of the time!! That is great! I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too! It's just crazy that this is how it's going! I thought it would be far worse!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you're letting yourself relish and enjoy this pregnancy, even if it means not eating your favorite foods or feeling like crap some days. There was always a small ping of uncertainty in the back of my head until I could feel the baby move--that was always a welcomed assurance even if it meant no sleep that night.

    And off topic, I just saw a trailer for the movie Heaven is for Real. It comes out this Easter! Thank you again for sending me that book...it really helped me through some hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw that was coming out too! So excited to see it! Glad it helped you too.

      Delete
  5. I understand how you feel! I just started my 11th week and my symptoms come and go as well. I am blessed to feel so good, but it scars me from time to time. I have made the choice as well to stay positive and enjoy these moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand! It messes with our heads when the symptoms go away. Congrats on your 11th week!

      Delete
  6. I think anyone who has had a loss can totally relate to this. But I love your optimism, not if...when. This is your take home baby! I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I keep telling myself that over and over. When. When. When. When WHEN! :)

      Delete
  7. So happy you are able to enjoy your pregnancy. Yes, remember, WHEN! Thinking of you =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! I'm thinking of you too! FX for your upcoming transfer!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you've been able to enjoy this pregnancy and plan for the future with baby in it! Fear will always be a little nag, but if you can keep it at bay and enjoy this time, things will go a lot smoother and you will be happier!

    ReplyDelete