Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Making another dream a reality

As you may or may not know, I have been having fun with photography as a hobby for a while now. I really, REALLY enjoy taking pictures. It makes my heart go pitter-patter even thinking about how much I love it. I used to work full time as a graphic designer/photo editor in the early 2000s and loved the ability to create on a regular basis. And luckily, photo editing was a skill I became pretty good at because of that job. Then I gradually moved my career into IT which has also been fulfilling. But it lacks the creative aspects that the graphic design offered. IT satiates the analytical and troubleshooting side of my brain though, that's for sure!

For quite a while, I've secretly dreamed about starting my own photography business on the side, but that seemed like such a far-fetched thought. Well, now with the incredible advice of a good friend of mine who owns her own photography business herself, I am going to jump in and finally make it happen! This is a great way for me to have a creative outlet on top of my current IT job, have lots of fun, and make some extra money on the side for when miss Sammy arrives. I could not be more motivated and excited!

Currently I'm practicing on friends and am adding equipment to my collection to do professional portraits and newborn sessions. I had a name for my business picked out that incorporated my name into it, but unfortunately I found out another photographer uses it for her business in another state. So back to the drawing board! I'm still working on a name. I think by me telling you all this through my blog, it feels more real which is a gigantic and freeing step toward making it a reality!

And PS, if you and/or your family are in the Austin area and would like to be my guinea pig for some portraits that will go into my portfolio in exchange for a photo DVD, shoot me an email.

Oscar has been a great model for me so far!
This picture would look better with a happy couple in it, wouldn't it?

A happy bird and a happy man.

21 comments:

  1. Excellent pictures!! Wish I lived in Austin! What kind of camera do you use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I use a Canon 60D. I absolutely love it!

      Delete
  2. Amazing pictures! Sure wish Austin was closer to San Diego. Would love some pictures of my dogs. I have tried everything trying to get the "one" best shot. No matter what one of them always looks the other way. It's been 7 years so I've kinda given up and settle for cute ones but man, I'd still like that perfect one.
    Good for you for doing what you love. I admire that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Your dogs would be so much fun to shoot, especially in San Diego! :)

      Delete
  3. You are super talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO good!!! I may be hitting you up for some newborn pics!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do newborn photos for you! Email me at wishingonasnowflake at gmail.com if you think you might and I'd love to figure something out! :) The best time to do them is within fourteen days of birth because they sleep a lot and are easy to photograph this way, but I'd love to do it any time. Just let me know!

      Delete
  5. I just love these photos! Wish I was closer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pics! Good for you for pursuing your dreams! What software do you use for editing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.

      Delete
  7. That is awesome Liz! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's wonderful!! I've always really enjoyed your pictures! :)
    I've been dabbling in photography, and considering possibly doing portraits, too. Message me if you're willing to share your friend's advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm definitely a newbie but would love to help you out. Lets chat on FB!

      Delete
  9. We're in the Austin area, and I'd love for my baby girl to be a guinea pig for you, if the offer is still open! I couldn't find your email - how can we get in touch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd LOVE to! Can you email me at wishingonasnowflake (at) gmail.com and we can work it out. I'm so excited. :)

      Delete
  10. I love the photo of Oscar! He is so photogenic :) We'll be guinea pigs for you if you don't mind shooting crazy toddlers! C & L's half-birthday is in April, and I'd love to book you for a bluebonnet session. I'll shoot you an email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE that! I really want to do some bluebonnet pictures and your little ones would be perfect to do them with! We could do the whole family if you're up to it too, just let me know! You know how to find me. :)

      Delete
  11. I admire anyone that can start a business doing something that they love. Seems like such a big undertaking, but perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete