Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My new diabetic reality

Yesterday was a really, really rough day physically. And now with the gestational diabetes diagnosis, it finally answers some of my questions as to why I've been feeling the way I have been. I felt extremely weak, shaky, nauseated, dizzy, and just all around crappy.

Yesterday I had my nutritional consult to go over gestational diabetes management. It was weird having the nutritional consult in the actual hospital where I'll be delivering. As the nurse and I walked the halls of the hospital to the consult room, I was surprised to be blindsided with an emotional reality check and fought back some overwhelming tears. No....not because I was going in to have a GD consultation, but instead because I realized these are the walls inside which Kevin and I will be meeting miss Sammy in just a few short months. That caught me off guard and it was a happy moment!

Anyway, in the actual consult I learned I'll be checking my blood sugar four times a day and will be eating three meals and three snacks throughout the day in the hopes that it will level out my blood sugar. I will be eating so much more than I am used to. I also learned that I will be seeing an MFM in addition to my regular OB because this diagnosis makes me officially "High Risk." Ugh, I really hate that title, but it is what it is. The news that I was being referred to an MFM was well received, but of course since it's me we are talking about, it also came with a sprinkle of panic. On one hand, I like that an MFM is highly skilled and will be taking super close care of me with additional monitoring and is well versed in my GD diagnosis. But then on the other hand, the irrational part of me isn't thrilled because actually seeing an MFM is the wake up call that I am considered High Risk. It took me back to the days as we uncovered our infertility and finally wound up going to an RE. Finally seeing an RE was the best thing we could have ever done. But at the time, something about making that appointment felt like the admittance that something serious could be wrong. And that definitely turned out to be very true. This kind of feels the same, but I know that's irrational and I'll be much better off being co-managed this way.

I've been testing my blood glucose, and let me tell you, it's way out of whack. Today begins the new eating plan and regular finger pricks. I hope that this gets under control quickly with these changes alone, but if not, I'm prepared to go on medication or insulin. I'll do anything for this little girl.

Bleeding fingers crossed...

10 comments:

  1. So sorry you have having to deal with this. I do understand the frustration of not only being "high risk" in the conception department, but also in the pregnancy department - feels like you can never catch a break. *Try* to think of the MFM as just an opportunity to for extra viewings of your precious Sammy (as I am sure you will get extra growth ultrasounds). And you thought you were done with needles???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally warming up to the idea. Especially since I learned we get ultrasounds at every appointment. I know it's the right thing to do! :)

      Delete
  2. Liz....I also had GD with my son. It was my worst possible nightmare when I got the diagnosis at 10 weeks (they tested me early because of my age). I even made them re-do the 3 hour glucose test (can you imagine ASKING them to let you do that again? Yuck!). But actually, it wasn't that bad. I don't know if your nutritionist told you this or not, but don't be surprised if your numbers go up as the pregnancy progresses...particularly near the end of the pregnancy. Its actually normal for people with GD to have that happen...no matter how good you eat. You are very smart to accept your diagnosis and the thought that medication might be necessary. Despite my good eating, and the extra monitoring, they feared my son was large, and talked me into doing a C-section (turns out he was only 7 lbs.), but it was all worth it in the end. The diabetes went away right after he was delivered, thank goodness! The eating plan was ideal to keep the weight off, which was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that's the pits!! yes, they did prepare me for it to go up as time goes on. I'm sorry you also had to deal with it but glad the eating plan helped for the weight! Congrats on your son.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you have GD. :( I'm sure it's frustrating to feel bad and to have to get into a big routine to manage it, but like you said, it is another added anxiety. I hope it gets controlled soon and you have a smooth, healthy pregnancy from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to see an MFM because I was high risk too (not GD). The silver lining? You get way more info on your little one than the average mama to be. You even get bonus ultrasounds. I saw my little gal so much, I forgot most women don't get as many special sneak peeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right. I'm already looking forward to the appointment on Tuesday. They told me they do an ultrasound every appointment which is really cool. And I know we are in good hands, that is the most important part - getting the very best care.

      Delete
  5. Prayers! It's going to be tough, but nothing you can't handle! :)

    ReplyDelete