Saturday, April 5, 2014

Ten things I didn't expect about expecting

I'm 22w2d today. Lucky twos!

Yesterday I spent some time reading through my blog from my very first blog post back in 2012 through the middle part of last year. I found myself thinking about all of the incredible things that pregnancy has brought me, much of which has surpassed my dreams. It was emotional going through some of the very dark posts, but doing so makes these wonderful moments today that much sweeter. It got me reflecting about some of the things I expected to happen and feel when I was pregnant, and how the reality turned out to be different in some cases. This isn't a bad thing, just an observation about how I had no idea how the pregnant-me would feel in a lot of ways. Some of these are lighthearted, some are not. But NONE on this list are complaints - just reflections about how the reality of pregnancy isn't what I had pictured it would be while dealing with infertility.

1 - I expected to live every day in fear. I really can't believe this, but I'm not fearful. Sure, I have moments where I worry about Sammy surviving or that we might get some heartbreaking news. But it's not gnawing away at me during every moment of every day like I pictured it would. I think that part of this is because I'm intentionally shoving any scary thoughts to the side and purposefully focusing on what we have today. I don't live in the "what IFs", I live in the "what AREs." I'm only drifting my thoughts to the future if it's in a positive way. I am grateful to God because my mental state is such a polar opposite compared to when I was trying to become pregnant.

2 - I expected I'd have lots of pregnancy-related complications by now. Before getting pregnant I had elevated blood pressure and insulin resistance. I am gluten intolerant and have MTHFR mutation. Heck, I even have a fairly rare infertility diagnosis and suffered two devastating miscarriages. I figured I'd always draw the unlucky card, even if I was lucky enough to get pregnant. Even believing that, I didn't care and was willing to do whatever it took to bring a baby home. But to my surprise, I've had been blessed to have a very easy pregnancy. I know it's not easy for everyone, and I acknowledge how hard it must be to have complications. I also know I'm not out of the woods yet. But I'm beyond grateful I've made it this far with nothing serious.

3 - I expected pregnancy to be full of cravings. I was sure I'd be chowing down rocky road ice cream, German chocolate cake, and would be sending Kevin to the store at 2 am for some calorie-ridden craving. I did not expect to have such a tumultuous relationship with food. Sure, I figured first trimester to be rough followed by insatiable, weird cravings in second and third trimesters. But overall, I just hate food even to this day. I really don't have any cravings to speak of. Well, maybe chocolate milk but that's about it. Everything else pretty much sounds like sawdust to me. I love to eat normally, so this surprises me.

4 - I expected to gain a bunch of weight from the above mentioned expected cravings. But in fact, I've actually lost a pound. I have a good explanation to this one, aside from the fact I hate food. I had some extra padding to begin with! Women with my BMI tend to gain less during than other women who are thinner. For what it's worth, My OB isn't worried whatsoever because I am making a point to get nutritious (usually liquid) calories down whenever I can. I'm surprised to learn that this is pretty common!

5 - I expected baby kicks to feel like butterflies fluttering or popcorn popping. They don't feel that way to me at all. I have had GI issues most of my life and have had my share of intestinal spasms. And hands down, to me baby kicks feel like intestinal spasms. They are so similar that they are nearly indiscernible from them, but I know that's not what they are. It doesn't change the fact that I find them just incredible!

6 -  I never expected to have a recognizable baby bump. I expected to just look fat, not pregnant. As mentioned above, I'm not a tiny chick with a tiny body. I'm 5'11" and have some padding. I expected I'd go through pregnancy with everyone wondering if I just ate too many cupcakes or burritos. That didn't bother me too much, but I secretly coveted the ladies who had obvious baby bumps. I figured that would never be my reality. But I'm shocked and elated how much this belly has rounded out and is obviously full of baby. I've even had a couple of strangers approach me in public and ask me when my due date was! I'm proud of my body for finally being kind to me in an unexpected way.

7 - I expected my parents to be involved. Before infertility, I always pictured my mom and dad being involved and excited about my pregnancy. Then weeks after being diagnosed with DOR in 2011, my mom died of cancer. I didn't expect that and it sent a ripple through my world. After years of treatments and now I'm finally expecting I hoped at least my dad would be involved. Sadly, this one isn't true. For reasons too long to list here, my dad is distanced. This is a sad realization for me and not what I expected.

8 - I expected to still have difficulty with others who had children the "easy way." No doubt infertility has forever changed me. But I have genuinely embraced all things baby, regardless of how they came to be. I thought a future-me would perhaps be capable of that someday, but I had no idea how quickly. This makes me proud of myself because it scared me thinking I'd hold onto some difficult feelings for so long. I'm so glad to finally feel somewhat normal again. I never EVER thought I'd feel 99% normal during pregnancy.

9 - I expected to be an advocate for embryo adoption. But I had no idea how passionate I'd become. Becoming pregnant has lit a fire in me that is impossible to put out. I shout about EA from the rooftops whenever I can. I am working on ways to get the word out on it whenever possible. I give the elevator speech at any opportunity. I want to help others who want to know more. This is to a degree I never imagined and I feel fulfilled to a degree I never would have imagined either.

And the one that will certainly make me cry. Yup, here come the tears, I feel them....

10 -  I expected to love my baby, but I had absolutely no idea how much. I love her so much more than I ever thought was possible. I imagine every day what it will be like to hold her in my arms, to enjoy those gleeful moments on Christmas morning, and to have the soapy mohawks in the tub. I knew I would be in love, but my brain couldn't comprehend it would be this much. And I'm sure I still have no idea to the degree I can ultimately love this little girl until I meet her and watch her grow.

24 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Liz. Your happiness shows through in this post and your utter appreciation for your pregnancy...it's lovely to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessah, you are so sweet to comment and read. I think of you often and hoping your next steps bring you success!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful :) bringing a baby into the world is an amazing blessing. You will never forget the precious moment you hold your baby in your arms. Keep being positive and best wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. I am so glad you are living without fear. Smiled at the point about sawdust because that is what food is like to me too, especially "nice" food. I feel like I never want to see the inside of a restaurant again. And #10 made me tear up a bit too. You ARE an advocate for embryo adoption, just through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, saw dust is actually putting it nicely! LOL but sounds like you get it. I'm hesitant to even think about going to a nice restaurant because of what a waste of money it will be! LOL

      Delete
  4. Oh wow. I love staying silent and just reading blogs and sending Prayers, but I gotta say, I just made myself laugh. I Prayed for a hedge of potection around you and your husband and baby and threw in a "and please don't let her baby be bald!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers! I honestly don't care if she's bald or not though lol! :)

      Delete
  5. Love this.
    Love how very appreciative you are. How very lucky Samantha is already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet! I think we're very lucky too! ;)

      Delete
  6. your posts really warm my heart!
    Im so happy for you!
    and after all the months of disliking food there will be a time where youll enjoy it oh so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes, I can't imagine what it must be like to enjoy food again. Seems so foregin! :) But it's all for a good cause.

      Delete
  7. I love your post and I love your baby bump from the last post.
    I am so happy for you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading your blog! I've never met you but I am overjoyed for you... for your pregnancy and all of the blessings that have come with it. Sammy is very blessed to have you as parents! She will always know how cherished she is and how much of a miracle she is! To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment. I really appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  9. Love your list! Thanks for sharing it, it's wonderful to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet to read and comment. I think of you often and pray for you too. I sincerely do! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  10. Liz, I just have to say that I'm grateful that you are shouting out about EA. I think I found you first on the traditional adoption boards over the summer and you mentioned EA. That link lead me to my current path. I researched EA during he next few months and started the process in January. I'm now pregnant and due in November. I'm so glad you're getting the word out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liz-
    I'm so glad you are getting the word out about EA. I first found you on the traditional adoption forums over the summer and you mention EA. I was intrigued. I did a few months of research and decided to pursue it in January. I'm now pregnant and due in November. Thanks so much for being an advocate and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, this thrills me to NO END!! I am so happy to hear this! This makes all of it worth it. Congratulations! :) :) :)

      Delete
  12. This is a great list. I'm happy that YOU are so happy :)

    ReplyDelete