Sunday, December 8, 2013

Iced in!

Like much of the rest of the country, Austin is experiencing extremely cold temperatures and ice. But unlike much of the rest of the US, Austin isn't used to cold weather and ice! So in our case, much of the city comes to a standstill. This means we avoid the roads, light a fire, find a fluffy blanket and stay cozy. I grew up in Utah and sometimes miss the cold temperatures so I'm weird and am liking it.

I've been in good spirits with the news of my doubling beta. I've had regular cramping, sore breasts, food aversions, heartburn etc. Even though the physical symptoms are uncomfortable, it brings me much comfort every time a symptom rears it's head.

I can't express to you how much I want to see the flicker of a tiny heartbeat on the 16th since we never got to see it in our first pregnancy/miscarriage. Week after week we'd go to the OB and some progress would be made, but no heartbeat. We'd tell ourselves "Maybe next week" but it never happened. And at 9w1d it was over. I'm trying to make myself believe that this time will be different and we may actually get to experience that beautiful heartbeat this time. I still can't help but be scared as the memories of my first pregnancy come rushing back.

In the meantime, I'm trying to keep myself occupied while cooped up at home.

I decided to conquer a pinterest craft and made myself this DIY sharpie mug.


And I also made two pounds of sugar coated pecans this morning. They are so good and will be a hit at the Christmas party we are hosting on Saturday!


I hope everyone is cozy at home in this cold weather. Brr!

18 comments:

  1. I am praying that you hear that beautiful heartbeat on the 16th! :)
    I love the mug! How did you do that? It's super cute!
    Those sugar coated pecans look so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I followed this tutorial for the mug: http://goodandmessy.com/tag/sharpie/

      It was fun and really easy! Just make sure to use the oil-based paint sharpies because I hear the regular kind will wash off in the dishwasher! Thanks for the prayers!

      Delete

  2. Stay warm! It's so nerve wracking before that first ultrasound. I hope and pray you guys see that tiny heartbeat (or heartbeats!!!).

    Did you find the Sharpie to stay? I made a mug for Steve, but it faded even after baking and redoing several times :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't tried washing it yet, but I used the oil-based sharpies because I read horror stories about the regular sharpies washing off. I also baked it in the oven for about 35 min. We will see. :)

      Delete
  3. the mug is adorable! Your little snowflake(s) are lucky to have such a crafty mama :) Good luck on the 16th. Sending positive vibes for a strong heartbeat or two!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you're so kind! Thanks for the compliments and positive vibes!

      Delete
  4. Love the mug and the pecans sound AWESOME! As for a heartbeat... I am hoping and praying and thinking about you daily! I just know you will see a heartbeat on the 16th!!! HUGS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Vicky!! I sure hope you're right! I really appreciate the prayers so much!

      Delete
  5. Found your blog- Sending prayers and good thoughts for the 16th!! :)
    By the way those pecans look AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate the prayers and comments!

      Delete
  6. SO happy about your beta!!!!!!!!
    And sweetie, we had a high of 9 degrees in Denver on Friday! :-)
    I ain't used to it being THAT cold!
    Excited to hear about your pregnancy and hope you can enjoy it and not be too stressed or anxious. On a somber note, reading Libby's blog has been so hard. I am in awe of her strength and pray for J and a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! Yeah, 9 degrees is cold!

      Libby truly is amazing, I have never seen someone so dedicated and loving to her babies. I hope I can be even half the mother she is. I also pray for a miracle.

      Delete
  7. Hi Liz. My husband and I are concidering placing our embryo's for adoption. I would love to read more stories like yours as well as stories from those who have donated. We have 3 adopted children and one biological through IVF. We feel our family is complete and would love to give the gift of a child to a couple. We have hoped that my husbands brother and his wife would have them. But I'm not sure they will ever choose this path. I am feeling ready to move forward with finding the right couple. Any advice or links to more stories would be great! I'm also from Utah.. Small world! Anyways, congratulations to you and I will keep you in my prayers! Hope all continues to go well. Sincerely, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I am touched that you are considering donating your embryos. It is such an incredible gift. That's funny you're from Utah too! :) Welcome to our FB group and I look forward to getting to know you! There are many ladies looking to adopt and you just might make a connection there!

      Delete
  8. Loving the crafty cup! And those pecans looks super amazingly good. Something about winter and being all cozy in the house brings it out in me too! Stay warm and praying for the best results on the 16th! TWO heartbeats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I sure hope we get to see at least one! :)

      Delete
  9. That mug is adorable! Can't wait to hear about the heart beat! Hope Austin defrosts some!

    ReplyDelete