Thursday, November 21, 2013

A flow chart of our snowflakes' history

Welcome, ICLW! In a  nutshell, I'm 2dp6dt waiting for the results of a very unique transfer! 

To catch you up, we've adopted embryos from two completely different embryo donors, and transferred one of each on November 19th. This means I could potentially be pregnant with twins who aren't related to me or one another, or a singleton who we won't know the genetic background of until birth. Or of course, I may not become pregnant at all or miscarry again which would royally suck but I'm braced for any outcome. My beta is scheduled on December 2nd, but I know I can't hold out that long. So stay tuned because I have a feeling the home testing will start in a few days. To learn more about what brought us to this situation, click on the Our Story tab.

At my transfer on Tuesday, Kevin pointed out that it took the love and actions of nine people over the course of a decade to make this happen. Yes, NINE! And that's not even counting the doctors, embryologists, or other amazing people along the way. I don't think I've ever thoroughly explained how these embryos came to be in great detail so I'll post about that today.

We adopted one batch from Libby and her husband, and they are the genetic parents of their embryo batch. They have four beautiful children, three of whom are 100% genetic siblings to any children we may have resulting from that batch. 

We also adopted a batch from Vicky and her husband. They are not the genetic parents of that batch because they received them anonymously as donor embryos themselves from an unknown couple who used a Romanian egg donor to create them. The original unknown intended parents had two sons who are genetically related to Vicky's batch. They donated the remaining embryos to Vicky and her husband. Vicky and her husband went on to have two sons, one of which resulted from these embryos and is 100% genetically related to any child we have from their batch. We have open relationships with both Vicky and Libby. Genetically related or not, we love both of their families like our own and we couldn't ask for more amazing people in our lives. We are so lucky to know them.

Clearly it's a complicated story. Usually when I explain it to people, I feel compelled to draw a picture to try to help it make sense, but never got around to it. Now that we are facing this type of a unique pregnancy, I finally went ahead and made a chart. 

Here's a quick and dirty version of how these embryos came to us and all of their genetic relationships along the way. It's not your typical situation, so feel free to ask any questions you might have. It's very exciting and unique!

16 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I understand the top level, above Vicky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky received the embryos as anonymous donor embryos herself. They were created using an egg donor. I hope that helps clear it up. It's complicated, no? ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi from ICLW. This month I transferred two embryos that aren't genetically related to one another either. Just got my first beta yesterday. Tomorrow is the second beta. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! Congratulations on your beta! Fingers crossed for your second one!!!

      Delete
  3. I am so grateful that you are writing this because I'm just starting my research on the same process. I will be keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers! If there is anything I can answer for you, just let me know. Good luck in whatever you decide.

      Delete
  4. excellent chart! this helps me understand so much better! not that it matters, but its cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you know ho many embryos started in each batch?

      Delete
    2. Oh good I'm glad you find the chart helpful! And you know what? I actually don't remember how many they started with! I know both Vicky and Libby told me, but for the life of me I can't recall. It was a lot and slowly trickled down smaller and smaller, of course. I want to say Vicky got nine donated to her. There was also a discrepancy with Libby's lab when they were shipped here, and I know they stated how many were created then, but it was such a struggle just getting them here from her lab that I think that original number went in one ear and out the other. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love this chart and that you used hearts because it sounds like it truly has been a labor of love to bring these embabies to you! Sending good thoughts for your beta... December seems so far away until I look at the calendar! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad you like it. And yup, originally I had circles but I thought 'no, these definitely need to be hearts because love went into this from each and every person!' :) Thanks for the good thoughts!

      Delete
  6. What a very nice way to explain things... It's amazing how many people it can take to get one woman pregnant!! So many ICLW-ers have either had positive betas, or are having their betas drawn in the next few days... wouldn't that be amazing if we all got our BFPs? There are almost 10 people so far (just that I've counted) that either have had their BFPs in the last few days, or are having them taken in the next few days!!

    Praying for your good results!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad you found it useful! I'm happy to hear about the wave of positive betas!! Lets hope we can add a few more! Thanks for the prayers!

      Delete
  7. I already have it in my head that you're going to have twibling girls. And what an amazing story they will have! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a story! I have a high school friend who adopted embryos and they had triplets! Can't wait to follow your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete