Friday, January 4, 2013

Yesterday's appointment

Our appointment yesterday was a good one. We expected to just do injects training and sign consent forms. But they also asked us if we had considered how many embryos we wanted to transfer. I said that we were thinking two, but hadn't decided firmly quite yet. The doctor went into a long talk about the risk of twins vs a singleton and while I already knew the statistics he mentioned, I think it was alarming for my husband to hear. The RE said that having twins is not considered a normal pregnancy and can have many complications. Many people wish for twins without being aware of these serious risks. We listened to his information, of course, and continued to give it much thought throughout the day. After work, my husband and I discussed it at length and came back to the conclusion that we still felt like two was the right number to transfer. We aren't wishing for twins, but this gives us a better chance of a pregnancy at all. We will be happy with whatever God blesses us with.

The RE said again how optimistic he is that I will become pregnant from our transfer. He said that we already have many factors going for us: 1) These embryos were created from an egg donor. That puts the odds in our favor big time and 2) They have proven success. There have been three children already born from this batch. He said "it would be irresponsible for me to say 'YOU WILL BECOME PREGNANT' but I am very optimistic that you will." This was very reassuring!

He also talked about how it's important for us not to tell people that we are going through treatments, especially because we are using donor embryos. His rationale for the first part, which I understand, is that once people know, they will tell everyone else and that information could inadvertently come back to your  unknowing child one day and hurt him/her. He also said that if the treatment doesn't work, it will be a knife in the heart to have to explain to everyone what happened. But for us, we have already told family members and friends who are close to us. And we have been lucky because hardly anyone has been judgmental or anything but supportive about any of it. Everyone has been caring and rightfully curious and we have been happy to answer questions and educate. But all in all, I really have appreciated the support of those that we have told and I don't regret sharing it for one second. As far the concern about the information getting back to our child that he/she was a product of embryo adoption and it ruining their life, that part might have made sense if we hadn't already planned to tell our child from the get go. This was something my husband and I decided long ago, we don't ever want it ever to be a secret to them. We saw a psychologist in the summer of 2012 who specialized in children born of donor gametes. She said it's incredibly important not to spring this information on our child because the shock element can be traumatizing. Instead, it should be part of their "normal." Her suggestion was to start compiling a baby book with everything about them from the point that we were searching for embryos to adopt. We would continue to document the transfer, pregnancy, birth, and everything else until around the time they are nine months old. Then we should read the book to them. They likely won't understand it completely, but we should continue to do this every nine months or so as they grow older. This way, they will always know where they came from and it won't be a shocking realization one day. They will also know how much love went into how they came into this world. My husband and I have decided to use the term "baby seed" for explaining it to them without having to go too far into the birds and the bees talk. We will use the example of a garden and how beautiful flowers grow from a variety of seeds. Most of the time, mommies and daddies have baby seeds of their own that they can use to start their family garden, but sometimes they need help from other families. We wanted to grow our family so we were blessed to be able to use the baby seeds from others to grow our family garden, but we love our family just as much as if they were ours to begin with.

Even before the doctor's recommendation about keeping it under wraps, I decided to wait to announce anything formally on facebook until we are actually pregnant. I just know that some people can be very shallow and I would hate for someone to say something stupid about it.

We are venturing into uncharted territory with decisions that have such an impact and I pray we make as few mistakes as possible. So many decisions to make with imperfect information. Welcome to the world of infertility.

Oh and one last thing - someone had asked on an earlier blog post how much it cost for us to ship the embryos from Virginia to Texas. We just got the bill yesterday, and it was only $385.

I'll leave you with a couple of pictures. Here is a picture of my box of meds that is sitting in my kitchen.

And here is a picture of the two syringes and needles I will be using. The one on the left is for Lupron, which I will begin on Sunday and will do every morning. This one goes into my belly and isn't bad at all. The one on the right, however, is for progesterone in oil (PIO). It goes deep into my muscle above my butt. My husband has to administer the second one daily. This cell-phone picture doesn't do it justice, but that sucker is LONG. And it does hurt! I had to inject menopur into the same muscle with a similar needle during the summer and I hated it. Oh well, I'll do whatever it takes for us to have a baby. :)



18 comments:

  1. We plan on making a book for our child as well. We've been very open with the whole process. Once I'm past the first trimester, I plan on posting my blog on FB to raise awareness of EA. It's so unknown!

    The injections suck. My butt looks like a giant pin cushion! It's all for our little Wiggler, so it's worth it!

    Godspeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I know I have a baby in there, I know I'll happily do the PIO shots every day. But for now, since anything can happen, I'll do them but I'm not sure how happily lol. Thanks for the constant support, Malia.

      Delete
  2. Okay...first off...too funny about the doc's barn door!

    I am the mom of an embryo donated baby. We also had embryos from an egg donor with prior live births. We transferred two and got a great singleton pregnancy and a baby girl in Nov 2010. we were also very open to many friends and family and we got lots of support. So...I dont' really think the secrecy thing is a good idea...especially in the long term...so why not share this wonderful blessing? We have never really come out on FB though. I have too many friends there from my past who I only touch base with on FB and some aquaintences I have met etc. Those who interact with us in person all know....I just let the "oh my, she looks just like you" comments slide.....but in all honesty...she really does look a lot like me (more so than her older brother who is my biological child).

    Anyway...I'm very excited for you on this journey. We are done building our family, but if it weren't for embryo donation I'm not sure what we would have done. It is such a wonderful gift.

    And...for the PIO...just ice it for 5 minutes before each shot....you won't feel a thing.

    Kd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, I love hearing EA success stories. So thank you for sharing! What a blessing indeed. I've heard that a lot of children born of embryo adoption end up looking something like their parents, which is really interesting.

      I appreciate the support so much more than you even know!! Thanks so much for the tip!

      Delete
  3. I agree, it is best to tell the child about her origins from the very beginning. I love the baby seed analogy too! I had to take PIO shots during my last IVF cycle and they suck! I always gave them to myself, so you are lucky that your hubby is willing to help you. I had a hard time drawing the oil up into the syringe, but then I started taking the needle off and drawing the oil directly from the vial into the syringe and then put the needle back on. Luckily, my new RE doesn't prescribe PIO shots :) Good luck with your upcoming cycle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by. Wow, you're a trooper for being able to do the PIO shots by yourself. I think I couldn't even reach to stab myself at the correct angle. I wish I could do Crinone instead, I've got a huge stockpile of it. Alas, my doctor insists on the PIO. So glad you don't have to do PIO! Good luck to you too, and thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. That sounds so sweet, it almost made me cry. I think it's great that you want to tell the child(ren) from early on, and that's a perfect way to do it. :)

    I wish I could say you get used to the PIO needle... but I'd be lying. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you're the best! In the world of IF, especially using donor gametes, you never know what the right way is to do anything. It really makes me feel good to see the positive responses to our plan on how to tell our kids of their origins. I'm glad you posted here that you like it too.

      PIO = Necessary Evil :)

      Delete
  5. good luck to you both. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great appointment minus the awkward moment and the clueless doc! Clearly, he needs to leave the advice giving up to the psychologist! We plan for our child to always know and have told a small group of family members and close friends - beyond that inner circle it will be up to our child if they want to be open about it with our extended relatives and their friends. We also had to meet with a psychologist this summer (ever couple using a donor route to parenthood is required to) and even she did not tell us what to do! She asked us lots of questions about our plans to make sure we had thought it through, and explained the same points as your psych did - that it can be very traumatizing to find out this information in adolescence. Our plan to that our child will always 'know' I had an egg donor and we will add age appropriate information as they age. We plan to purchase some of the childens books about egg donation (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=egg+donation+for+children&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Aegg+donation+for+children) but I love you idea of making our own book! I have been scrapbooking my infertility (I know that is weird!) but it is probably a little different than what you have in mind. Would you mind doing a whole post about that book and what you plan on putting in it? I would love to copy your idea!!!

    You and I had the same appointment yesterday! Please check out my blog in a bit as I will be writing about my appointment and drugs! Do you start the prog in oil shots now!?!?! I dont start until the day before the transfer (or is it the day before the retrieval?) and then I will continue till the 12th week of pregnancy.

    Our clinic requires that we do a single embryo transfer the first time if we have one "good" or "excellent" quality embryo - more on that will be posted soon too!

    So happy to have found a friend with a similar cycle to mine! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out your latest entry. :) I think it's so cool that we are cycle buddies! We don't start the PIO until Feb 3 and I will also continue until they tell me to stop. My RE nurse said they might switch me to crinone after a confirmed pregnancy which to me is better, but some people prefer the shots. I'll gladly do crinone if they let me. I have a huge stockpile of it. To each their own!

      As far as the book goes, I had originally thought of buying a pre-made baby book but shocker - none cater to embryos adoption lol. So I think I will go ahead and make a scrapbook version from scratch so it's more child-friendly and I can make it exactly how I want it to be. I'll definitely share it as a blog entry! I'll be honest though, there's been a part of me that is hesitant to put anything together quite yet because of how hard it would be to look at it if all of this fails. So I'll probably continue to collect photos and information for the book, but wait to put it together until I'm a couple months into my pregnancy. :) I'm glad that you think it's a good idea!

      Delete
    2. Nice - so i will start PIO Feb 9! I was thinking today - when I start my Leuprolide Jan 13th, I could be getting 1 to 2 shots every day for the next 4 months! Wow! That will be alot - but if it is because I am pregnant I will be sooooo happy! (Post my drug schedule on my blog yesterday)

      No surprise you couldnt find the right baby book! I think I will copy you and start collecting momentos from this cycle and save them to start making a baby book when I feel comfortable - maybe 12 weeks? Lets share our ideas and pages with each other - I am so glad I can borrow this idea from you!

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you're doing it and will share ideas. I'm always more creative with a partner. I look forward to it!

      Delete
  7. We plan to be completely open with our LO too... I am working on turning my blog into a book for this reason. It will be a way for us to share with him how special and wanted he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on your blog! Very cool, I think that's a great idea! I was telling my husband that I'd love for our kids to read my blog someday too. There's no doubt how special and loved these precious snowflakes are. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow. I can't believe your doctor told you that. I think it is mostly encouraged to be open with your child about how they are conceived. My sister was an egg donor for me, and we plan to be completely open about it. So far, we have met with nothing but support. And honestly, those that would be judgmental just simply don't matter.

    Good luck! I think it's fair to be optimistic about the transfer because of the success rate of this batch of embryos. It is great that your doctor is so optimistic about it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. What an incredible thing for you and your sister to share! I am a firm believer in being open and honest too. You're right - anyone who isn't supportive just plain doesn't matter.

      Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete