Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Lighting dinner on fire

Kevin was feeling pretty down in the dumps yesterday as he came to terms with our second loss in less than a year. And as you all know, on top of that, it was his birthday. I'd be extra down in the dumps too. However, fortunately for me I did most of my grieving and processing on Friday and over the weekend so I was in a little better place emotionally. With infertility and loss, related tragedies tend to take both spouses to their knees at the exact same time so it's hard to find the strength to be there for the other person when you're hurting so badly yourself. However, I've learned through this long journey that when you do have those moments of strength when your spouse is hurting more than you are, take those opportunities to lift your spouse up. Kevin has done the same for me on multiple occasions. I knew I had the strength to be there for him and I knew I had to at least try.

Kevin thought he was going to make tacos for dinner, but that just wouldn't do on the birthday night of the man I love. So I decided I was going to surprise him by making his favorite dish for dinner: Steak au Poivre. And for my own gratification, I have to admit that lighting a pan on fire is pretty fun!

I also found a little gourmet Yin Yang cake that I bought for him as his own personal birthday cake. I told him that he is the Yin to my Yang! Corny, I know.



12 comments:

  1. You are a sweet wife to do that for your hubby's birthday while still grieving yourself! Happy Birthday to Kevin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been sweet to me on days I've really needed it. I'll let him know you wished him a happy birthday! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing and you two definitely deserved a night to do something special. This type of grief is so unique and difficult....you continue to be on my mind, and I am still praying for you both! I think people under estimate where guys are in this process, but they go through so much too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, this kind of grief is different from how I would have ever imagined it to be. But I know we will get through it. Thanks for the support and prayers!

      Delete
  3. wow that looks delicious!! I'm glad you were able to be there for your hubby. It sounds like you two have a strong relationship. That's what you need in times like this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! He's been there for me on many, MANY occasions.

      Delete
  4. Wow, very impressive. I'd love to have you come cook dinner for me! ;) Kevin is lucky to have a wonderful wife like you to cook his favorite, especially at this time. Hope this was a fun and healing time for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would if you lived closer. :) Thanks for the support and encouragement. Many hugs to you too.

      Delete
  5. Th t looks like a pretty fancy dinner! I'm impressed. I am so glad that you both are able to be there for each other through these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete