Sunday, September 29, 2013

The wonderment of the unknown

As we embark onto this final FET cycle of 2013, I'm pondering all of possibilities ahead of us. Here are some of the things that have been bouncing around this brain of mine.

We have three embryos left. We plan to transfer two. At this point in time, it's unknown which two embryos will be transferred. We won't know which will be transferred until the transfer day itself due to the potential for embryos to arrest at thaw. Just to recap our embryo situation, we have the following remaining embryos -  each frozen as singles to straws: 
  • One day-six blast from Vicky's batch (Romanian, olive skinned, dark haired.) But sadly, based on the way it was thawed, grown, and refrozen using slow freeze techniques, it's not expected to survive thaw.
  • One day-six blast from Libby's batch (Blue eyed, fair skinned, blonde haired)
  • One day-five blast from Libby's batch (also blue eyed, fair skinned, and blonde haired)
We have decided on the thawing order for the next transfer. The plan will be to start by thawing the day-six blast from the first batch (Vicky's) and the day-six from the second batch (Libby's.) If Vicky's embryo does not survive thaw, we will thaw the final day-five blast from Libby's batch. Follow me so far? You may have to read through that a few times since I know it is complicated! Sheesh. :)

Once all of that makes sense, let's consider the incredible possibilities if the one from Vicky's batch DOES survive thaw and we transfer it along with one from Libby's and I find that I am pregnant. Here are the two unusual scenarios that come to mind.

Scenario one:
Both embryos transferred implant and I end up with twins. Think about this one - I would be pregnant with twin babies who are neither genetically related to me NOR each other. Pretty amazing! I am not aware of anyone else who has been in this situation and I would bet is incredibly rare. I mentioned this on one of my online support groups and someone coined the term "twi-blings"! Cute!

Or....

Scenario two: 
Only one embryo implants leaving us with a singleton pregnancy. However, we'd have no idea which one implanted until after birth. We'd go the entire pregnancy not knowing if our baby grew from Libby's embryo or Vicky's. Of course after birth we would do a DNA test through a cheek swab so all parties involved would know which family he/she was genetically related to. And while many of you might be thinking this is just too crazy for words, I personally think it's a beautiful surprise to be faced with seeing how so many others have been robbed from us.

But of course, if the embryo from Vicky's batch doesn't survive thaw as we expect, we will be transferring the final two of Libby's and would know all along the genetic background in any outcome. But the possibilities and unknowns sure are interesting to think about as we embark on this final transfer! The wonders of modern science are amazing. 

And as mentioned before, if Vicky's embryo survives thaw, and we have that final 5AA rockstar embryo remaining from Libby's batch, we will save it for an attempt for a sibling down the road.

If the next FET fails or I miscarry again, we plan to pursue traditional domestic infant adoption at the start of 2014. This leaves us with a whole new set of unknown possibilities. Since we are open to the adoption of a child from any racial background, it's impossible to truly envision the child that we will someday call our own. When I lay our baby down in his/her crib, what color eyes will be staring back at me? What color skin will be pressed up against my chest as I read a bedtime story? Will I be braiding my little girl's long blonde locks of hair? Or will I be braiding the beautiful brown hair of an African-american child?  It's all the same in the end, and my heart bursts with joy as I think of any potential scenario.

I'm in awe at the wonderment of the possibilities. God knows the outcome and I can't wait to see what He has in store for us.

Photo courtesy of Newsone

22 comments:

  1. It truly is amazing, the capabilities of science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I'm so glad we live in this day and age where we have these kinds of opportunities!

      Delete
  2. It is incredible to think about. Glad you have a plan that you are excited about. The NEDC mixes embryos from multiple donors, but I am unaware on a non-genetic twin scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that! I am sure you're right! Pretty cool. :)

      Delete
  3. While I don't know of anyone personally, when I was going thru EA, the NEDC said that they had had several sets of non genetically related embryos from mixed donors. It is sort of rare but does happen for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several sets of twins that were from different donors*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to see who God brings into your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter how you get a child you are right - they will be yours and you will love them unconditionally!!! Can't wait to see what the next month brings!!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for all of the love and support, Vicky! That final little snowflake is going to wake up this year, all thanks to your amazing gift! Thanks for the love and support, as always. *hug*

      Delete
  7. Whatever baby(ies) God has inundated for your family will be as blessed to have you as parents as you feel to have them as children. I can't wait to see how God writes this story b/c I know one thing---it's going to be undoubtedly amazing!!!
    Bev :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! I know that He has a plan for us, and I can't wait to see what it is. :)

      Delete
  8. I am so excited to see what happens for you and I have my fingers and toes crossed that everything with this FET goes perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the support! I hope so too.

      Delete
  9. How exciting! I'm saying prayers for you and your husband. I have twins and I personally think they are amazing. I know whatever your outcome is will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your twins. Thank you for the prayers and support!

      Delete
  10. Even though the genetic parents were both listed as blonde, we ended up with a brunette. You never know what you're going to get!

    Praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Libby's children are all blonde, although I think her daughter may have strawberry blonde. Anyway you shake it, I have a feeling they will be blonde-ish but God has the ultimate say! Thanks for the prayers.

      Delete
  11. I love the title of this post!!! I'm super excited for you and the possibilities...we were blessed with genetic twins through embryo adoption and have one blue eyed blonde and a brown eyed brunette...God is great and I love how you give Him credit...I'm looking forward to reading what he has in store for your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Hes the one in charge! :) I know this is in His hands and someday I'll look back and be grateful for the bumpy path that led us to our specific children. I really long for that day. :)

      Delete
  12. I just think that is the coolest thing!

    ReplyDelete