Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The RE pep talk

The RE just called me again just to see how I was doing. I already received the beta results but I think she could sense my emotional breakdown from Friday's insanity and is trying to give me some TLC by holding my hand every new step of the way. I REALLY appreciated this. Here are some things she said:

I should try to not worry about the betas. Betas wildly vary. No two pregnancies are the same. We don't even necessarily need to see them double perfectly within the standard limits. Those are just averages, and many women don't fall within those standards. My betas are still going way up, even if not perfectly! We will get concerned if betas drop, or if they hit a plateau. But for now, they are rising and she is pleased.

We put in two beautiful blasts. One might be struggling/decreasing and the other struggling/increasing. It's difficult to say but we should try not to put too much stock into the betas. A struggling twin is a possibility....albeit slim.

The important thing is that we see some growth on the gestational sac at the next ultrasound. We may not see anything else, but growth will be the goal. If we see more than that, great!

We still have a minor concern over an ectopic because without the fetal pole and yolk sac in the gestational sac, we cannot verify that what the OB saw on ultrasound was indeed a pregnancy. It could just be a uterine anomaly. I am to continue to pay close attention to any bleeding or severe cramping and call the doctor immediately if this happens. So far I've had none of either.

Even though I appreciated her call, I started to cry. I told her that I knew there was no way to tell the future but it has just been torture on us. I asked her point blank - "Have you ever seen this happen before and turn out okay?"

Her response - "Absolutely" without skipping a beat. This gave me so much hope.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a very thoughtful RE. I'm hoping the next little whizzes by and you get the answers you are looking for. Fingers crossed for you honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers! It's awesome that you have a DH who takes the reins when you need it and that you can do it for him, too. That's what marriage is all about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your RE is taking the time to hold your hand, especially after all you've been through at your clinic. I agree, don't put too much stock in betas but I'm glad they are rising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your RE is giving you the attention you deserve! Especially after the nonsense before!

    *big hugs* I have hope that everything will be ok! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad your RE called and talked to you.I am sorry you have encountered all that you have so far. Hang in there.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that was so nice of her to call and reassure you. I am thinking about you and pray everything turns out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really glad she called you again and was able to answer those questions for you. I hope everything continues to work out for you and that those little snowflakes are able to hold on and pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing RE you have!!! I am so glad she called and gave you some hope!!! thinking of you & hoping your next u/s will show perfect growth!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so glad you got some encouraging words and support from her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That call sounded very reassuring. I have five kiddos I have given birth too and I have had 6 miscarriages. I know all about the beta # watch. In fact this last PG, our FET, I had the lowest and slowest rising and doubling numbers I have ever had. I was a mess. My RE said it definitely could have been a twin situation early on. Even with my blighted ovum years ago, my numbers were not increasing like yours are now. It looks like things will be just fine. I will pray for you and your little one for this next u/s.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was incredibly nice of the RE to call. I'm thinking about you today for your appointment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad she is taking the time to call and check in on you. Reassurance always helps...especially when doubt creeps in. My friend Elizabeth's first BETA was 13!!! LITERALLY 13 and this was on 21DPO! And she went on to have a beautiful healthy baby boy. Now is your time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad your RE was able to offer some reassuring words! As for betas, I know a lot of docs won't even continue with them after the first three, because there comes a point where they don't offer any useful indicators of anything. I know it's hard not to worry about each little thing right now, but try not to read too much into those numbers!

    ReplyDelete