Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Accepting the "30 days of muchness" challenge

In yesterday's post, I copied a list from Standing Still Magazine with ways to honor your child. On that list, you may have noticed that it mentioned starting a 30 days of muchness challenge.

I was intrigued. What the heck is "muchness" anyway?

According to Tova, the author of the finding your muchness site:

Muchness is the energy, the life, the spark of positivity that fuels our days, our imaginations, our confidence. Kids are filled with Muchness. Their desire to see and learn and know and experience is something to be envied. As adults we often lose our Muchness. The day to day routines that can drag us down, the disappointments that sometimes seem like they’ll never end… we don’t take the time to see the positivity. We forget to be inspired.

The more I read about Tova's story, the more I felt inspired. What an incredibly strong woman. She lost her twin girls 6 months into pregnancy and has focused on healing and helping others find healing too. Her 30 days of muchness challenge seems like exactly what I need right now. The sparkle and glitter is all around us, we just have to take a moment to recognize it and call it out.

Challenge accepted!

I will identify one thing a day that brings me joy and post it to my blog with pics. I'll still write about what is on my mind and what is going on, but I think it will be an uplifting aspect to my day. I'm looking forward to it and already feel my spirit lift just thinking about it!

Finding my Muchness - Day 1

Today's muchness is the rain we got last night. Something about getting rain makes my heart tingle. It may be because we live in such a hot place with sweltering summers. Or it might be because Kevin is a major weather enthusiast (it's really cute.) But there is always this big anticipation in our household when a storm is on it's way to central Texas. Is it here yet? IS IT HERE YET? And when the rain and thunder finally rolls in, it's so cozy and wonderful. There are some nights when I'll wake up and realize Kevin isn't next to me. I'll find him in our formal dining room sitting on a chair and staring out the window at the storms at 3am! We have been blessed to have had two major storms in the past week and I just love it! You can see from the photo below that we planted herbs in the pots on our patio and it makes me happy to know they are getting some much needed moisture. Not to mention Maggie's tree needs it too which you can see on the far right side of the back of the yard.

I have found my muchness in the rain today.


If anyone else is interested in taking the 30 days of muchness challenge, let me know. I'd love to follow along!


16 comments:

  1. This reminds me of an Alice in Wonderland quote (the Johnny Depp one) "you used to be much more muchier. You've lost your muchness" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I don't think I ever saw that version. But the word "muchness" really has a ring to it! I'm looking for my muchness because I'm afraid I'm not as muchy as I used to be. Just fun to say lol.

      Delete
  2. Wow this is wonderful!! I am looking forward to reading your posts! I would love to post about my muchness when I am having a rough day, but I can't promise to do it everyday because whenever I make plans to post regularly I never follow through haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure I won't be 100% on posting every day either. I figure I'll do 30 posts of muchness, even if it's not 30 days straight. But there's something to be said about watching for the simple joys in life when there is so much pain surrounding you. The only way out is up sometimes!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I have done this once. Hope you find many muchy moments along the way. It is helpful, when even the smallest think can lift you up and make you smile, it's all about paying attention and you'll find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you did this and I hope you found it helpful. I think I will find many muchy moments. There is so much muchness around if we stop to look for it. :)

      Delete
  4. How wonderful!!! A friend through school did a month of kindness or something like that and did something kind for others each day. I like both these ideas! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like this! I also like the kindness idea. Maybe I'll do that at a later time. I can say that some of my happiest moments are when I do some random nice thing for someone else, and it usually feels even better when they don't know I did it. I love that idea!!!

      Delete
  5. Keep going, girl! I am certain you still have tearful moments. How could you not? But, your positive attitude is such an inspiration to me. Not to mention, I am jealous of your herb garden! I have always wanted one, but we live in an apartment building. Maybe I will try growing a small one indoors. Why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, definitely still tearful moments. But I'm not going to let it stop me from seeing the sparkle in the every day moments. I'm not getting any younger and the real tragedy would be to let everything pass me by.

      We love our herbs and it's so nice to be able to go out and clip off just what I need when I'm cooking. It's so much cheaper than from the store, and theres pride in knowing you grew it. I used to grow herbs on the balcony of my apartment building. Basil did really well! If you have a balcony, it's a great thing to do. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea! I am excited to see all the things that bring you joy! I hope you are doing better. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be fun to try to to do! Thanks for thinking of me. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you are embracing all the great things in your life, finding your muchness! It's a wonderful idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Liz,
    Hi Liz!
    I'm a Muchness Hunter. I seek out Muchness and find it anywhere on the internet...(also sometimes called "google alerts" ;-) ...was so happy to have found you :)
    So glad you have taken on this challenge and I can't wait to watch you embrace the journey. It is really powerful.
    The hardest part is not skipping a day. Even on the hardest days, finding even the smallest little Muchness Moment will keep the momentum to get you to the next day.
    It's on those hardest days that when you look back you realize the strength you have inside you.
    Many hugs to you on this journey!! Keep me posted!! xo, Tova

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I'm surprised to see you stop by! How nice of you! :) I love this challenge, and I can already tell it's given me joy and strength. Thanks so much for being such an inspiration!

      Delete