Friday, April 5, 2013

The first week post-miscarriage

I can't believe I've made it through a week post-miscarriage. I never thought a "me" could exist after losing a baby, yet here I am... existing. Not sure if that makes sense, but it does to me. You just don't think ahead in life about what it would be like AFTER losing a baby.

Yesterday was our appointment with the counselor. Kevin went with me and it felt really good to get a lot of what has happened off of both of our chests. This particular counselor specializes in infertility and issues surrounding donor gametes so it was wonderful to know she understood what we were talking about without going into a lot of explanation. While at the appointment, we learned a lot about the grieving process, and about how important it is that Kevin and I care for one another during this difficult time. Most of the appointment was us talking and the counselor listening. However, she had some great advice when we did let her speak. I'm sure I can't capture her words as eloquently as she actually put them. But basically she said one of the best ways to make yourself miserable is to constantly ask yourself "why me?" Many times people get into a major rut because they won't let go of the "why me" aspect. We as humans try to look for patterns and explanations for why bad things happen to us but....
There is no pattern, no explanation. No reason why we drew the card and got picked for such severe infertility and why we shouldn't be able to have children. No reason why we got picked to lose our baby. That's the unfortunate fact of life for us but we have to accept it to move through the grief.

It's best to attempt to use our energy on things we can impact like putting a plan in place for moving forward.

She also explained that anger is a sign of fear and helplessness. Many times the most aggressive dogs are the little ones! I've definitely noticed that in my years of volunteering with animals. I've rarely met a chihuahua without some major attitude! That's because they recognize that they are physically small which leads to fear and helplessness so they turn to aggression. I've found my emotions wrought with anger through parts of this process and I realize that much of it did stem from fear and helplessness.

Lastly, while it's okay to question God to some degree, one of the most harmful things we could do is let go of Him completely right now. I'm not sure if the counselor was Christian or if she was just saying this because studies show that belief in a "higher being" is critical for working through grief. But she surprised me at the end of our session by saying that He felt immense amount of pain when His son was on the cross. He doesn't enjoy seeing his children in pain. And the worst thing we could do is sever our relationships from Him.

Here's the interesting thing. I came home from the session and spent a while continuing to talk to Kevin about what was discussed.

And then I slept like a baby last night for the first time in over a week. And it was WONDERFUL.

14 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that both you and Kevin went to the counselor! It looks like she was very helpful and gave you good info to process. It makes so much sense that anger is a product of fear and helplessness! How many times in dealing with infertility have I found myself so incredibly angry and when it all boils down it's really a fear of the unknown future or feeling helpless to have any control in my life. I hope you continue to sleep well! It's so much harder to deal with trying situations and exhaustion at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to our next session on the 15th! I guess that's a sign of a good counselor! I hope that some of the stuff we uncover I can share on my blog and help others.

      And I slept great last night too so two nights in a row post counselor session. Woo hoo!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sounds like a great counselor and counseling session! I really was touched by the line about the immense pain that God felt when His Son was on the cross... wow.

    So glad you found such an awesome counselor to help you through this. We're still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's nice to see that we have a great counselor that seems to be aligned with what we believe. She was a huge help.

      Delete
  3. I wish I'd had found a good counselor after my losses. It wasn't until about 6 months after my third loss that I finally found a good therapist and he has been a life saver, truly. I'm so so glad you've found a good one so fast!

    I wish I had good advice or words that make it easier, and as someone who has been there you'd think I know what to even say. All I can say is I'm so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. It sucks. Its awful and unfair. But you will make it through in your own time and your own way. ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you finally did find one. This counselor is not my first either. I had started looking for a good one since after we started down the road of infertility and my mom's illness. I went to probably three before discovering this one, and Kevin likes her too. She just "gets" infertility and the other ones totally did not. She has some great thigns to say and is actually a psychologist so I feel like we are in great hands.

      Thanks for the kind words. The support does help, even if you don't know what to say. You know this pain and I appreciate knowing I'm not alone.

      Delete
  4. when we found out our daughter was diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy (a type of neuro muscular disease), I spent a lot of time at first trying to figure out the "why??" of it all. then I heard a song by one of my favorite bands, cloud cult, and the lyrics were: "if you pray to god for rain, don't you complain about the lightning. if you're asking for directions, don't you moan about the distance." it really helped me bc I was remember how we prayed and wished and hoped for our daughter and unfortunately, illness and disease (and death) is a part of life. it comes right along with life. so, if we are going to pray for life, we have to be prepared for the painful parts that accompany it. it helped me so I thought I'd share it. I hope you continue to heal and find peace, and eventually, a little babe to hold and love on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This touched me so much. I agree wholeheartedly, we pray but we need to accept all that comes our way. I am sure you feel blessed for your daughter, but were heartbroken about the diagnosis. We have some dear friends who we love so much who had a daughter born with down syndrome. She is an absolutely beautiful little girl, abd the light of her parent's life. But no doubt it was a painful reality when she was born and in talking to them they have shared some of their pain as well. We've recognized through our pain and through our wonderful friends pain and acceptance that we would accept any child God decides to send us. All children are an immense blessing and hand picked for each of us.

      Delete
  5. So glad you found a good counselor and had a terrific night of sleep! Woohoo! Progress always feel good : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I got a second great night's sleep so something great is already coming of this. :)

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you got the release you needed from talking to this councilor. It sounds like you and Kevin are on your way through this healing/grieving process. The pain and sadness will never 100% leave us, but we can learn how to handle it and move on in a way that we can enjoy our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely right. I feel this is headed in a good direction even though it hurts so much right now. We are forever changed but we know it will take work to move on and feel peace.

      Delete
  7. so glad you found this person - sounds super helpful for you guys! good for you for pursuing it! you are taking good care of yourself and you should be proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. To constantly ask 'why me' isn't really helpful, that is so true. Especially when we won't have straight answers. And the anger, well, I think it's a process and feelings you have to go through, for me it comes and goes. Found you through LFCA, wishing you the best on finding a way to move forward when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete