Thursday, April 11, 2013

D&C post-op appointment vent

I was getting ready for work yesterday when I got a call from a scheduler at my OBs office saying the doctor will be off on Friday. They would need to reschedule my D&C post-op. Ugh. In a weird way I had been looking forward to it because I just want to know things are back to normal and I can go on with my life physically. It was disappointing to hear it would be postponed and this aspect of closure will be delayed.

The next available appointment they had was at 1pm next Wednesday.  Well, I work 10:30am -7pm M-F and that would mean I'd have to miss more work. Keep in mind that I've missed a lot of work between FET appointments and then ultimately the D&C/recovery itself. And unfortunately the next appointment they had available before my work hours wasn't until April 25th. This is almost a whole month past my D&C.

About an hour later, I called back later to see if the post-op appointment was just a talking appointment or it there was an actual exam performed. Because if it was just a talking appointment, I was probably going to skip it completely. When I called their phone went straight to voicemail so I left a detailed message. In the voicemail I asked if I could resume normal activities (baths, hot tub, exercise, etc) in the meantime and also asked if the visit was going to be an exam appointment.

To complicate things, I work in the Bermuda Triangle of cell signal because even though I am smack dab in the middle of a very populated area of Austin, I get little to no cell signal at my work. Neither do my coworkers. It's awful! In my voicemail I specifically asked that they call me at my desk phone knowing I wouldn't likely get the call on my cell.

But of course, murphys law -  around 5:30pm a voicemail symbol popped up on my cell phone with no ringing (thanks, Bermuda Triangle) and it was the OBs office. They said I can't resume normal activities until I have my appointment and that I should have just accepted the first appointment they offered me. WTF? What is that supposed to mean? I dare you to walk a day in my shoes right now. How could they say that I "should have just accepted the first appointment they offered?"

I swear, I love my RE. And I absolutely adore my OB. But the common denominator of doctor problems ALWAYS seems fall with the office staff.

It's not my fault that Friday's appointment wasn't going to work, it was theirs. I wish I didn't have to work at all and had the luxury of just rolling in whenever was convenient for them. By 5:30p their office had already closed so I tried calling again this morning, but again went straight to voicemail. I left them another voicemail to call my desk phone hoping to avoid phone tag and explained I can't miss anymore work, hence the need for a morning appointment. I even asked if I could see another doctor in the practice sooner. I feel like groundhog day. This kind of stuff drives me batty.

Vent over.

Now onto...

Finding my muchness - Day 2

I discovered a cupcakery that makes fabulous gluten free cupcakes just a block away from my work. I'm a pretty good cook and can bake up a storm, but ever since I learned I can't eat gluten I haven't done much baking. It's really hard to master gluten free baking since the flour is very finicky. So to find a place that knows what they are doing with baked goods, Score! Mmmmm.

Check out this little lemon-raspberry beauty with lemon icing and a cute little raspberry on top. And to my surprise, it had raspberry filling in the middle! I found my muchness today in the middle of a gluten free cupcake.




22 comments:

  1. I would be so upset with my doctor's office. That is horrible patient care. So sorry.
    Now, I want a cupcake!! Looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, they called shortly thereafter and said I didn't need the appointment at all. Woo hoo!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, so sorry you are dealing with more incompetent office staff! I'd be super pissed about being scolded when they are already inconveniencing YOU! I too now want a cupcake. That lemon frosting looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Wish I could shove a cupcake through the screen for ya! :) And it was DELISH!

      Delete
  3. Ugh! I'd be angry too. When you do get to the appointment (you know, whenever is convenient for them) be sure to tell the Dr about your frustrations: about them not listening and scolding you. Doctors need to know that the office staff makes or breaks their practice. Most people will leave a practice when they are treated like crap no matter how good the doctor is.
    It sucks that you had to deal with this on top if everything else. Go have another cupcake!! Lol. You deserve a dozen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, sounds like I don't even have to go at all. Woo hoo! But I agree, I've left a practice before because of awful office staff.

      Delete
  4. This is exactly why I drive an hour to my RE. There is an office 15 from where I live but their billing and office staff is terrible! My sanity is worth the long drive.

    I too want a cupcake now :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone needs to give the admin at your doc's office some sensitivity training. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that headache while still grieving and recovering.

    On a brighter note, that cupcake looks lovely. I've just gone gluten free and haven't had the chance to try baking yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I might try to bake a cake this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  6. Okay....I would complain about the scolding from the office staff...that is no their place...ever!@ Uhg. I don't recall my post D&C being an exam........but they may have done an u/s to make sure my uterus was empty and back to normal size. But it was with my RE who was awesome in every way possible and only hired the best staff EVER. I hope it all works out for you.

    Now...gluten free...I have to chime in here. We are a GF family. Our son has Celiac disease and I have found some GREAT gluten free products that I LOVE to bake with now. See if you can find Pamela's chocolate or Vanilla cake mix. It is GF, and it is soooo yummy. No need to mix all the different flours...she does it for you. My only advise...is add an extra egg to the recipe...makes for fluffy, yummy cakes and cupcakes. AND...if you can...get the Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix. It makes the best pancakes and has some fun recipes on the bag. I use this in my cookies all the time...I just substitute flour with the pamelas and it all turns out soooo yummy.

    kd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting! I love these tips! You've inspired me to try to bake a cake possibly this weekend. They sell Pamela's at Sprouts (a specialty grocer) and I'll pick some up when I do my shopping! So glad you have a recommendation!

      Delete
  7. Call and ask that the dr call you back personally about a private matter. Then ask him if he can possibly squeeze you in for an early appt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Luckily, I don't need an appointment after all. :)

      Delete
  8. Is this the cupcake place by Asia Cafe? I always saw it, but never checked it out!

    Have you ever tried baking with almond flour or coconut flour? Depending on what you want to make, they're good alternatives! I usually buy blanched almonds and put them in the food processor to make my own almond flour (or almond butter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Cupprimo! It was so good and I can't believe I didn't go there sooner. I haven't tried making my own flour. I have some King Arthur's premixed flour that has worked for pie crusts, but I haven't ventured out beyond that. I need to. :)

      Delete
  9. Ugh. This is the last thing you need. I'm sorry your doctor's office is being so frustrating. :( I really hope you're able to get it sorted out, and you don't have to wait forever for this appointment! *hugs*

    P.S. That cupcake looks fabulous, and I am totally jealous. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I agree. They were obnoxious! I wish I could give a cupcake to ya! It was so good! I'm sure they have GF bakeries near you too somewhere. I hope you find something good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it funny that they told you that you couldn't resume normal activity until you had this appointment, but now they are saying you don't need to have it? I mean, it's easier for you not to have to worry about it, but I find that to be a major double standard. I can't believe they would have the nerve to scold you when they are the ones to reschedule in the first place.

    On the flip side, oh wow. That cupcake looks devine! I'm gonna need to find me one of those. Wait, I can't. I'm trying to lose the weight I gained after my miscarriage! Sigh. I'll live vicariously through you and your cupcake......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, isn't that crazy? I think the first lady who told me that didn't even check with the OB about it. But the nurse who was sweet, caring, and listened, she did. All of it just makes me roll my eyes.

      I haven't had any more cupcakes recently, but when I to, I'll take a bite in your name! :)

      Delete
  12. I read this yesterday and it has been on my mind ever since. After my first miscarriage, I felt the exact same way. I kept bleeding, not bleeding and then bleeding again. I kept talking to the doctor, but her attitude was..."Yup, that can happen." Instead, how about..."I know you want this heartbreaking experience to be 100% over, so you can move forward, but we have no control over the body. It will be over soon. You will be ok." I remember, her attitude made me angry and anxious because I felt like I was the only one concerned about me and I was her patient. Anyhow, thank you for articulating your feelings and sharing them. It is healing for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me how cold and clinical medical staff can be about the loss of a baby. :( Fortunately, the second nurse who called me was incredible sweet and said exactly what you just mentioned about how heartbreaking it was and how she knows I need to move forward, etc.

      I am so sorry you had a bad experience too. I hope you never have that experience again. I am touched by your kind words!

      Delete