Thursday, February 7, 2013

PIO shots, Google calendars, and coming out with first names

Well, ladies and gentlemen....I've checked one PIO shot off of my list. There was quite a bit of build up of anxiety, but my husband was able to do it like a champ. It sucked, I won't lie.  But I think that the first shot for anything in infertility treatment is always the hardest and I hope that these extra terrible injections get easier from here on out.

My husband is a volunteer firefighter and is at the fire station on Thursday nights. That means I'm on my own for my PIO shots on Thursdays, and tonight will be my first attempt. I think I can I think I can I think I can.

Yesterday also began the complicated oral medication calendar and will continue for six days. I was worried I'd have a hard time keeping track of everything so I put each medication on my Google calendar and printed it out so I can easily cross off each one as I take a med. This has been very helpful and it's extra great because my phone will also offer me pop-up reminders. I recommend doing this to anyone worried about staying organized with meds, appointments, etc.

I'm still feeling pretty nauseated on and off, and the night before last I was up all night - literally until 7am with lots and lots of I-need-to-throw-up sensations. It was so bad that I had to call in sick to work which felt like a total waste because I had to spend the entire day in bed. I'm happy to report that I didn't have any problems last night and got a full night of sleep.

Nothing else new to report, but I'll try to post something more insightful and interesting next time especially since I will have attempted my own PIO shot. May the IF guardian angels be watching down upon me tonight as I give it a good ol' college try. Just counting down the days until our transfer on Monday. It's almost here!

Last, but not least - I have kept my blog very anonymous out of respect for my husband's wishes. But recently he actually gave me the "ok" to post photos of us and name him by his first name. So you'll notice the new blog header and also the "about me". My name is Liz and my husband's name is Kevin. We are pleased to meet you, blog readers.  I'll start to refer to him by his name from this point forward. Our donor also says we may use her name, so I no longer need to refer to her as "V". She is Vicky. She is amazing.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

12 comments:

  1. Liz, I'm so excited for you and your transfer on Monday! I am having my transfer on March 29th...just started my birth control yesterday. I'm a bit nervous about the PIO shots...but hey, we just have to keep in mind that little baby that we are working towards! YOU CAN DO THIS! Bless you and Kevin both! :) - Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for you! March is going to be here before you know it! Thank you for the kind words. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Liz :)

    You are braver than I! When Mat wasn't available to do the PIO, I stayed with my mom and had her do it. I don't think I could give that shot to myself!

    Google calender's are awesome. I just set up an email reminder and don't delete the email until I take that med or do that task.

    Godspeed! I'm praying for you! Great pic, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pic! My blog is really open too, and sometimes I am a little nervous about that but overall I like it. Glad your PIO shots went well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being open is better than anonymous, but lots of people have different levels of comfort. I applaud you for being open!

      Delete
  4. Ahhh!! That's only 4 more days! So excited for you.

    The PIO injections really do suck, but not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to and totally worth it for the end result! Although I was never brave enough to give it to myself. I could do all the others, but that is just too big a needle for me! But I'm a big weenie. I also would have done it if I HAD too, so I know you will be fine.

    Good luck!! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't believe it! Turns out, my husband stayed home so I didn't have to do it after all. ;-) Whew, I lucked out.

      Delete
  5. My husband flies helicopters and had to fly one night when I needed my PIO shot... so I had to give it to myself! I was so freaked out about it. I did the little circles and even you-tubed people giving it to themselves. It was probably the funniest thing in the world. I had my butt check propped up on the bathroom counter trying to use the mirror (bad idea), but I managed to do it! Good luck with the shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! I'm proud of you! I'm so glad you were able to get through it on your own. There has to be something very empowering about knowing you did it without help. :)

      Delete
  6. OK do just to make you all laugh - my husband is scared to death of needles - I mean passes out when he sees one so he was NO help giving me shots. BUT my Bro-in-law is a nurse so guess who gave me every single shot??? (no wait I think my sister gave me some too) yup - Bro-in-law got to give me all these shots! Funny! Good luck Liz and to all of you who are going through this too - it is SO worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that's so funny. Men can be so funny like that! I'm glad you had your brother in law and sister to help fill in the gaps because it would have been a lot of shots!!

      Delete