Thursday, August 8, 2013

105 degree weather and Lupron don't mix

I should be getting a call from my embryologist today announcing my beloved snowflakes made it here and are safe and sound. I'll make sure to post a quick update once I get that call so you all will know as well.

In the meantime, let me tell you about my medication delivery yesterday.

I had to order my meds from two pharmacies due to my insurance only willing to cover the Lupron through one particular specialty pharmacy. I spent probably an hour and a half on the phone on Tuesday getting everything lined up with them for a Wednesday delivery since I knew I'd be working from home to accept everything. The order from the first pharmacy arrived yesterday morning around 9am, perfect and in good shape. I put it all in my pretty little cycling box, which is the same box I've used every cycle.



But I waited and I waited and waited for the second delivery which had the Lupron in it, and of course, this is the injection I need to start first. It finally arrived after 7pm.

The shipping box was burning hot. Which makes sense because it sat in the back of a dark brown UPS truck for the entire day and it was 105 degrees out in Austin. I quickly ripped the box open to check the Lupron itself, and the Lupron vial was burning hot too. I checked the temperature storage guidelines, and it was definitely far above that.

Ruined.

I frantically called the pharmacy and told them they needed to send another, only this time with cool packs and arrange it to arrive in the morning at my dad's house up the street. They quickly agreed, apologized, and set up the new delivery. I'm watching for it to arrive and then I can finally declare the medication portion of this cycle ready to go!

And speaking of Lupron, my nurse got back to me on the rationale for the increase this time. I guess it was an intentional thing they have done for everyone at my clinic due to some women ovulating through it on lower doses. I'm not concerned that I would do that, but I figured I'll just go with the flow and take the doubled amount. I'd hate to learn I had ovulated through it and then find my cycle was delayed or cancelled.

But heaven help me. I'm going to be pumped full of loads of Lupron during the hottest parts of a Texas summer. The hot flashes last time were insane on half the dose. I think our a/c might be turned on to 30 degrees all day long while I'm cycling!

I also woke up to bleeding this morning which is odd since I'm on birth control. I'm sure it's fine and it's only normal breakthrough bleeding, but I didn't have that last time.

Stay tuned for the snowflake shipping update!

11 comments:

  1. glad they are sending another box!! I'm in Dallas and we too are smothered by this heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got here safe and sound! Stay cool, Texas is smouldering hot right now! Can't wait until football season which means cooler weather again!

      Hook em'! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Weird that they didn't send the first Lupron with cool packs. I'm not looking forward to starting what I call "Loopy Lupron". I'm sure I'll have headaches and hot flashes again this time. I too have had breakthrough bleeding with my BCPs this time. Then again this is the first time I have been on BCPs for 45 straight so far. Hoping you get an update on your shipped embryos soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm surprised! It would have cost them far less to have packed with cool packs up front instead of paying for the cost of the lost medication.

      Yup, I'm counting down the minutes until I start on Loopy Lupron! Just under 24 hours from now, to be exact! I don't remember headaches like many women describe, but I definitely get hit hard with the hotflashes. I describe it like "injecting menopause" which is how it feels. Doesn't help that I already have DOR and am facing menopause to begin with lol! Good luck with your cycle, I'll be watching and following!

      Delete
  3. Watching and waiting anxiously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have prayers being said for you that you don't even know about. You will be a most wonderful and POWERFUL mom. What lucky little Snowflakes.

    Lainey Painey's Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This means the WORLD to me. Your daughter is an incredible woman and an incredible mother. I am honored that you're reading and praying for me. I truly mean that! Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Weird you had no cool packs? Mine always have had them. Here in Texas we MUST have them huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!!! It's a must have here! I can barely make it home from HEB with groceries that don't melt. I have no idea how they thought in a million years that medication would be okay on the back of a UPS truck all day without cool pack! Duh! :) The second vial came and was packed perfectly. So I'm all set now!

      Delete
    2. It's been crazy hot on top of that! Houston has all the lovely humidity that you SA folk miss out on! lol! Anyway, I don't think we will care if next summer is a scorcher here in Texas if we are cuddling newborn babies!! ; )

      Delete
  6. Lupron doesn't have to be refrigerated, but you would think they would know that shipping it to Texas might be in extreme heat. I'm so glad they were willing to ship again, no questions asked!

    ReplyDelete