Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pet infirmary ward

Yesterday was another crazy day around here. It started with waking up early to take my dad's dog, Gus, to the vet for a planned surgery because Gus had a split toenail and broken tooth. My dad is blind and can't drive so I offered to do this for him before work.  Poor Gus. Check out how pathetic he looked when he was released. No, that's not a tornado siren - it's a french pointer who feels like crap!



Out of nowhere much later in the day, our diabetic cat Nadia jumped off of a bar-stool and began walking with a horrible limp. I called the vet and they said to bring her right in. They did x-rays and determined she has either a torn ligament or torn meniscus in her knee. And there are really only two recommendations: $1500-$2000 orthopedic surgery, or physical therapy (unknown cost.) Normally he'd prescribe anti-inflammatory medication, but unfortunately she can't take that due to her diabetes. This kind of injury is very painful for a cat, which breaks my heart. He sent her home with some basic pain medication and told us to limit her movement. He will be contacting us today or tomorrow to let us know the details from his consult with the orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist. If surgery is the right option, I imagine it's going to need to be ASAP. I took Friday off of work for my birthday, but it might be spent with her in surgery. The expensive fun never stops around here. Not quite the birthday I had hoped for.

We've set up a very large dog crate in the living room to limit her movement and to allow her to be near us. She's not thrilled about it, but without her being able to put weight on her leg, there's no other option. I pray she heals up and physical therapy is all that is needed. This poor kitty is seemingly falling apart between this and her recent diagnosis of diabetes. Overwhelming is really the best word to describe it, especially when we are right in the middle of our cycle. Sometimes I even forget I'm cycling, but thankfully my phone reminds me when I need to take my medications!


Here is our other cat, Chloe, visiting Nadia in the "infirmary ward." Visiting hours are 8am to 10pm daily.



After all of this ordeal, I got home and our dog ,Oscar, woke up from a nap and started having idiopathic tremors. His head was shaking quickly from side to side, and is looks like a seizure. He started getting these occasionally a few years ago, but luckily he hasn't had one in a very long time. It scared me out to see this happen to him on top of everything else with nadia! Luckily, it stopped after a few minutes and he's been fine ever since. I took him to the vet a long time ago when I first him do this, but she said not to worry about them. I guess it's typical in "bully" breeds (and we think he's part English Bull Terrier, like the Target dog.) We rescued him when he was about a year old and he had already been severely beaten and abused, his skull broken from blunt force trauma, teeth knocked out, completely blind in one eye, covered in ticks, and starved. I'm actually surprised he doesn't have more health issues than he does. Poor guy! You can see how his right eye is blown out and cloudy. It's always been that way.





So there's an update from the pet infirmary ward! Not really cycle related, but it's front-and-center in my life right now so I figured I'd write about it.

Thanks to everyone who has joined the secret Facebook group. We are already up to 28 members! It's very active, and we've already seen our first BFP! If you are interested in joining, just email me.

5 comments:

  1. Bless you heart! That's a lot to deal with! I hope thing settle down and they are all on the mend soon, preferably at the lowest cost to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, your poor kitty. And your dad's poor pup. Praying that they all get better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's nice to have a distraction to help time go by fast while cycling, but this isn't the kind of distraction needed! Hope they all heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete