Monday, August 5, 2013

An unusual find

Last night, I was making spaghetti sauce using Kevin's mom's famous recipe. It always tickles me to be able to use a special family recipe over one I find in a cookbook or online. I'm sentimental like that, I guess. It got me thinking about some of my mom's famous recipes that unfortunately she took with her to her grave, particularly her famous macaroni and cheese. My mom and I used to email back and forth all the time and I have email archived all the way from 2004! So on a whim, I decided to search my email to see if for some crazy reason she may have emailed the recipe to me somewhere along the way.

And.....unfortunately, I couldn't find it. 

But what I did find was a document my mom had emailed me in 2008 containing some other famous recipes my great grandma had passed down to her. She told me they were used for generations and were very, very old. How cool is that? Now, some of these I can't eat as written due to my gluten intolerance but I think it's awesome I found them just as well. And if I ever did want to make them, I could probably alter them to be gluten free one way or another.

The one that particularly excited me was the blackberry pie recipe. My mom used to talk about the fond memories she had spending summers at a lake house in Washington where she would water ski and help her grandma bake famous blackberry pies. I never even realized I had this recipe in my possession all this time. I also remember the sausage fondue recipe as something my grandma would fix every Christmas eve for us to eat on Christmas morning. I'm excited that now I'll have the opportunity for that tradition to live on with our future children. Here are a few recipes that I will share with you!

Blackberry Pie
2 crust 8” pie shell
½ - 1 c sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
3 c fresh berries
1 Tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Fix berries in pie shell and top with mixture of sugar cornstarch and salt.  Dot with butter.  Cover with top crust and bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes more.
---------------  

Auntie Margaret’s Fudge
4 ½ c sugar
1 c milk
1 ½ c butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb Hershey Bars
1 jar marshmallow cream
1 c nuts
12 oz pkg chocolate chips

Combine sugar, milk and butter.  Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly.  Add vanilla and pour over Hershey bars, marshmallows, nuts, and chocolate chips.  Stir until melted and pour into pan.  Refrigerate. 

Makes 5 lbs of fudge.

--------

Grandma's Sausage Fondue (Christmas breakfast casserole)
8 slices bread – cubed
2 c sharp cheese
1 ½  link sausage
6 eggs
2 ½ c milk
¾ tsp dry mustard
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ c milk

Cook sausage and cut into small pieces.  Drain well.  Into a 13x9 inch greased pan spread the bread.  Layer sausage over cheese.  Beat eggs, 2 ½ cups milk and dry mustard.  Pour over above.  Put into refrigerator and let set overnight.  The next morning, mix soup and ½ cup milk; pour over above.

Bake at 300 degrees for 1 ½ hour.

-------
And as far as these snowflakes go, the shipping tank is leaving Texas today and heading for the donor lab. It will arrive tomorrow. T minus three days until these snowflakes arrive!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I agree! The only one I can recall I've had is the sausage fondue. I'm eager to try the others. Yum!

      Delete
  2. I love old recipes. My mother passed away when I was 33. She loved to cook and I loved her food. I have her recipe box with many hand written recipes and clips from magazines. I also have a little recipe box that she gave me with the note still in it from her and a handful of hand written recipe cards. It is one of my favorite treasures.

    As for the Gluten free. Our son has celiac disease, so we pretty much live gluten free. I found that Gluten Free Pantry has an awesome pie crust mix. My whole family raved about it this last thanksgiving....so you can still enjoy that pie. I have bought GF frozen pie crusts at Whole Foods before...but they weren't as light and flakey as the one I made from the Gluten Free Pantry mix.

    And...so happy your embryos are finally shipping and the insurance got it right for a change. Looking forward to supporting you through your next transfer.

    kd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a special legacy for your mom to leave for you. I can imagine why it's one of your favorite treasures!

      I've tried the whole foods frozen pie crusts, and they are okay I guess...you're right. I've never tried the Gluten Free Pantry crusts and I will plan to use that for this recipe. I made this recipe once from scratch and it turned out awesome:

      http://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2011/10/perfect-gluten-free-pie-crust-recipe.html

      The whole foods crust wouldn't work for the blueberry pie anyway since it requires a top crust. I'll try the one you suggest because it seems easier than scratch. It was a pain to make the scratch crust, even though it was yummy! Thanks for the tip!! :)

      Delete
  3. That is such a great find. These sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I felt like my mom was here, in a way, when I found these recipes. She would be beaming with joy knowing I am planning to use them with our children!

      Delete
  4. Oh that fudge sounds like HEAVEN!

    And yay on the impending arrival of the snowflakes! What happens once the arrive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the fudge, but I know my mom has talked about it from her childhood. I'll make it for the holidays this year!

      Nothing happens really when they arrive, other than I know they are in Texas which is so incredibly special and wonderful! I originally was going to wait to ask for my calendar until we knew for sure they were here. But I feel confident enough that they are coming that I asked for my calendar now. I can't wait for them to arrive though...oh I just can't wait. :)

      Delete
  5. How awesome that you found those recipes. My MIL was from Dublin and I wish that I had gotten some recipes from her before she passed away.

    And Yay on the embryos getting ready to ship!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I know...it's one of those things that you regret later for sure. I doubt I'll ever find my mom's mac and cheese recipe. The memories live on, even if I can't recreate the dishes myself..

      Super duper yay! It's almost time!!! By the way, I think I'll be about 2 weeks behind you on my transfer which was similar to how it panned out last time. I hope we are both pregnant at the same time. SO much. So stinkin' much.

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking I need to try the blackberry pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete